Aren't tourists annoying? :)

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to tourist-prone locations, I get all these people running around, shaking the ground, bumping into me.

Especially teens...kids can be controlled by their parents (and they're light enough to throw off the cliff/building/tower), and adults are quiet, but teenagers are always loud, and running around a lot. When I'm in a foreign city I dont run around noisily and taking off my shirt, I expect the same from people coming to my city. I find it especially annoying when tourist teens try to get into your photo which you've meticlously composed (unless they're hot, legal-age girls :D ).

I've considered bringing a cattle prod, but the government says zapping tourists is bad for business. Perhaps I could put some barbed wire about my equipment, or not shower for 3 weeks.

Well, at least the govt banned public drinking.

Well, saying that tourists are loud and rude, and run around too much is a bit off the mark. You are describing KIDS AND TEENS in general...just not kids and teens that are tourists. (and I won't make that a blanket statement...there are plenty of well behaved kids and teens). Those kids and teens that are like that while being tourists are almost definitely like that the rest of the time, too.

I consider myself to be quite the tourist. I'm in total awe everywhere I go, my viewfinder never leaving my eye (just ask unimaxium or clarinetjwd).

You aren't annoyed by tourist, you're annoyed by kids. And it's totally understandable. Recnetly my boyfriend and I went to a local state park...we were trying to get several pics of a waterfall, and 4 teens were hanging out nearby...they knew we were there...we were the only ones there, and we'd been there for a while (mostly waiting for them to get further out of the way). Well, they kept looking over at us, then they decided to go UNDER the falls, and just sit there.

So yeah...some people can be downright aggravating. But it's not because they are tourists, it's because they are immature TEENS.

keller said:
Sometimes when I go to tourist-prone locations, I get all these people running around, shaking the ground, bumping into me.

Couldn't resist answering your quote "people shaking the ground" Must be heavy people where you go !! Maybe there was an eartquake, then you will find people bumping into you.:lol:

Sometimes when I go to tourist-prone locations

If it is causing you that much stess you would be better off to avoid those spots.

No I don't think they are annoying, I find them interesting. If I see a tourist I make an effort to say hello and ask if they are enjoying their trip. I've even bought lunch for a few.

As far as teens being loud, that's part of being a teen and growing up. If they are being rude, that's another story.

I like to use the term "visitors". Jackson is Vactionland U.S.A. I have seen and heard it all. Visitors take a certain amount of tolerance and understanding. I bet the people that bumped into you were saying "I wish that guy with a camera would move". The point is that folks are just trying to have fun. And hopefully spend money. For some that means stopping a huge RV in the middle of the road and or being rude in restaurants, brat kids, whatever. Generally people are decent. We always remember that.

I can understand what you are trying to say Keller. I manage the front desk at a hotel in Myrtle Beach. And let me tell you I see my fair share of tourions. Tourion, that's a melded word between Tourist and Moron.

Not trying to be rude...that's just the way things are most of the time...seems like people that are on vacation leave their brains at home.

There is a good thing about being at the beach...we are only busy 4 months out of the year. So we get the beach all to ourselfs the rest of the year. But when they are here I very rairly go anywhere but work and home...mostly because to eat at a resturant the wait is at least 90 min..and thats just too long for a hungry person to wait :)

Hah...I always get so many 'damn tourist' looks whenever I bring out my camera, whether at home or as an actual tourist...it's like locals can't take pictures or something ;)

Where I live is in a national park (note to overseas readers - this may sound strange, people living in a national park; it's normal here). My village has historical links with smuggling and witchcraft, and is full of little witchcraft-themed gift shops and teashops. It is packed with tourists all year round, especially in summer of course, but we even had three coaches in on Boxing Day morning last year.

So, they come and wander around the shops, have some tea or buy an icecream, take photos of themselves with the ponies that roam around the place and generally hold up the traffic, and then drive home again. In 125 square miles of forest we get around 10 million visits a year, mostly by car. But if I walk for 500 metres out into the forest, even on the nicest summer day I won't see more than one or two other people, and those will usually be locals walking their dogs. Years ago the National Parks Service researched how far people will walk from their cars, and found that on average it is no more than a quarter of a mile, or 400 metres, a little more if there is running water or a lake to go and sit beside.

So to get away from the crowds all you have to do is walk.

Well, I personally like to travel to other and preferably even foreign places, and once there, I am a tourist, too, and I hope people like me where I arrive and don't think "My god, yet another bloody tourist who will walk into my frame", since I'll be setting up, too, to get MY frame :biggrin:

OK at my age I have left my teenage years far behind and therefore might behave a little more "settled", but I still am a tourist once I arrive at foreign lands ... I just HOPE I am liked all the same!?!?!

And teenagers are teenagers all over, I think, and when they are a loud and raucous group elsewhere, they're bound to be the same at home. And mind: tourists in large droves tend to be louder, even groups of elderly people. But like Thom is saying: they come, settle for their coffee and cakes, walk a couple of steps and hop back on their busses for most of the time.

And yes, it is very true: once you have walked just a little further into an area, you'll be back to being on your own, or with only very few others around. The average tourist just does not walk that far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back