Article on 50mm Primes if anyone is considering one...

...I made sure I got one; I have a 28-80 zoom and a 35-80 power zoom, both of which will cover the 50mm 'prime' range, but it seemed logical that you don't always need (or want) the zoom feature and some situations call for a simple prime lens...also, you can't get f/1.7 out of a zoom...

The article is interesting if dated.

I have a 50mm 1.8 (Nikkor) and while it is a good lens, and very sharp, it isn't "all that" due to my sensor's crop factor.

I am planning on getting one of the highly rated Sigma f/1.4 30mm in the future for portraits.

The article is interesting if dated.

I have a 50mm 1.8 (Nikkor) and while it is a good lens, and very sharp, it isn't "all that" due to my sensor's crop factor.

I am planning on getting one of the highly rated Sigma f/1.4 30mm in the future for portraits.

i also have the sigma 30/1.4 in mind, but it's a toss up between that and the nikkor 24/2.8.
the 50's are being forgotten because they aren't as wide as they used to be. it'll be a while for full-frame sensors to be the standard in digital slrs, so those consumer zooms are unfortunately better suited. wide angle primes should come down in price :mrgreen:

Really I had my eyes on the 35mm f/2.0. One thing is certain I am never buying a reduced circle lens. It's just not worth it if I can't bolt it to my film camera.

Most reactions

Back