At any price

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw this movie the other night on TV, Being a tractor head I was drawn to it. Not a bad film if a little bleak. In Europe they don't allow GMOs so the Monsantos of this world don't own the oxygen which comes from there crops. Is cropping really like that in the US, as portrayed in the movie.

Is cropping really like that in the US, as portrayed in the movie.
I have not seen that movie, but I can tell you this; almost everything in movies is tailored to present a particular point of view. Even to the point of presenting lies as fact. It's all about the message.

I have not seen that movie, but I can tell you this; almost everything in movies is tailored to present a particular point of view. Even to the point of presenting lies as fact. It's all about the message.

Wait. What? The movies are not totally truthful? I'm crushed!.

Oxygen is currently readily available for free in the USA. it's allll around us on our farms and ranches.

Wait. What? The movies are not totally truthful? I'm crushed!.

Oxygen is currently readily available for free in the USA. it's allll around us on our farms and ranches.

Ok the oxygen comment was taken literally, I thought people could extrapolate. :culpability: What I meant was the power of big Ag in America. It is not a new concept to me that such companies are in it for money and are cutthroat, you get the same over hear, but the way the movie portrayed the reality for farmers is somewhat different then it is over here, somewhat!

my career is agricultural engineering so I am not unfamiliar with the sector.

.. the way the movie portrayed the reality for farmers is somewhat different then it is over here, somewhat!
I would imagine it's pretty much the same here. (most) Farmers are essentially locked into a marketing plan that depends on their cooperation with Big Ag for inputs and market sales. Only a relatively few small operators are into organic and specialty products, for which they must either do their own marketing or rely on their specialty sector networks.

I saw this movie the other night on TV, Being a tractor head I was drawn to it. Not a bad film if a little bleak. In Europe they don't allow GMOs so the Monsantos of this world don't own the oxygen which comes from there crops. Is cropping really like that in the US, as portrayed in the movie.
Sadly even this is not true. In Europe they do allow and use GMO's. There is virtually no crop in the world these days that have not been genetically modified over history. When you take a cutting from one type of plant of a particular species and graft it to another different plant the resulting generations will be genetically modified. With out this modification over time we would not have things like high yield, rust resistant, drought resistant wheat.

The EU seems however to not have a problem with the member countries bringing in DNA laboratory GMO foods into the EU. They just require labeling that the product contains GMO ingredients.

Most grain and bean crops in the US are DNA Lab GMO's. They are engineered for bigger yields using less moisture while incorporating more resistance to disease and pests. The big issue these days is seeding. Back before the various seed companies invested billions in producing better strains of crops it was common to save part of you harvest for next years seed. That is no longer allowed if you are using these various strains of seeds. The companies will in fact monitor the farmers, both big and small to assure that they are buying new seed every years instead of saving crop for seeding and will take farmers to court if they do save seed for planting.

Yep.
Humans have genetically modifying their food for thousands and thousands of years.

regarding the first section of your comment, You could say the exact same for dogs, why, because its the truth.

Regarding GMOs with a population of 8 billion and rising how else are we going to feed the planet. I know how GMOs are made and what they where theoretically designed for. Unfortunately we don't leave in an ideal world hence my oxygen comment, if monsanto were allowed to claim that there crops photosynthesised better then your regular hedge I have no doubt they would find someway of charging a premium.

Regarding the EU: the EU is full of politicians and as I'm sure your well aware living in Trump land politicians can be bought in some way shape or form. I think Spain has the largest GMO crop area in the EU but it accounts for only 340000 acres. In the end it all comes down to money and marketing, is it better to have tonnes and tonnes of pesticides on crops or for the crops to be disease and drought resistant, someones knows and ill bet his on gigantic money to keep his mouth shut.

Sadly even this is not true. In Europe they do allow and use GMO's. There is virtually no crop in the world these days that have not been genetically modified over history. When you take a cutting from one type of plant of a particular species and graft it to another different plant the resulting generations will be genetically modified. With out this modification over time we would not have things like high yield, rust resistant, drought resistant wheat.

The EU seems however to not have a problem with the member countries bringing in DNA laboratory GMO foods into the EU. They just require labeling that the product contains GMO ingredients.

Most grain and bean crops in the US are DNA Lab GMO's. They are engineered for bigger yields using less moisture while incorporating more resistance to disease and pests. The big issue these days is seeding. Back before the various seed companies invested billions in producing better strains of crops it was common to save part of you harvest for next years seed. That is no longer allowed if you are using these various strains of seeds. The companies will in fact monitor the farmers, both big and small to assure that they are buying new seed every years instead of saving crop for seeding and will take farmers to court if they do save seed for planting.

Grafting is not GM in any way, it is grafting that is it. I have done several grafts through the years, and if you graft plant "A" to rootstock "B" the resulting seed isn't a mix of the two plants, it is the seed of plant "A" with no change.

Several of the GM crops that are supposedly drought resistant have been found not to be as drought resistant as the old heirlooms, GM plants can have shallower roots (and so do a lot of the new hybrids). The huge problem with GM is that there is evidences that GM products do cause cancer, and with cancer rising so quick it does seem quite true.
Also nearly all GM crops are modified with herbicide in them, so they can be extensively sprayed. Not only does the herbicide cause cancer and lots of other health problems (this is proven), and also kills the bees. But the weeds they are spraying become resident within a year, so the sprays are made to be stronger every year and more harmful. GM corn has become a weed in soybeans, it comes up volunteer and the spay can't kill it. Causing a big problem for farmers
Soybeans (and other plants) have BP (a type of batera pesticide, pod worms) modified into it, and other crops have other types of pesticides modified into them as well. This is causing a problem with "superbugs", which is just like the weeds, they have become very resident to pesticides.

The lawsuits come from cross pollination. So if I am Growing non-GM corn (for example) and have been all my life, saving my own seed so it adaps to my environment. Then I end up with a GM corn in my crop, even if it happens by a bird dropping a seed in my field or by any other means. I will be sued by Monsanto for breach of patent. There have been hundreds of farms in the US that have lost everything to Monsanto!

Yep.
Humans have genetically modifying their food for thousands and thousands of years.

No, you are talking about hybrid crops, it is nowhere near the same thing. A hybrid is made by taking the pollution from tomato plant "A" and pollinating the the flower of tomato plant "B" with it. Creating a mix between the same species of plant. Hybrids can also be created by selectively breeding, only planting the seed of the plant/fruit that has the trait(s) you desire.
GM is modifying the plant on a cellular level, that can only be achieved in a lab. Doing things like, putting herbicide and or pesticide into the genetic makeup of the plant itself. Or placing cells from other species of plant or animal into it. Monsanto made a GM tomato that performed well in colder climates, they achieved this by putting salmon (the fish) into the tomato plant use genetic modification. But the tomatoes had a mushy consistency and they didn't sell in the stores because of it, so this tomato is no longer being produced. They have done similar things with other crops, and I don't know about you, but I don't like animal in my produce, it's just not natural!

Bottom line is, Genetic modification is not the same hybriding, grafting, and selective breeding. GM is new and doesn't go back in history far at all. There are a few (very few) good things about GM, but there are so many bad things that it just isn't worth it!

regarding the first section of your comment, You could say the exact same for dogs, why, because its the truth.

Regarding GMOs with a population of 8 billion and rising how else are we going to feed the planet. I know how GMOs are made and what they where theoretically designed for. Unfortunately we don't leave in an ideal world hence my oxygen comment, if monsanto were allowed to claim that there crops photosynthesised better then your regular hedge I have no doubt they would find someway of charging a premium.

Regarding the EU: the EU is full of politicians and as I'm sure your well aware living in Trump land politicians can be bought in some way shape or form. I think Spain has the largest GMO crop area in the EU but it accounts for only 340000 acres. In the end it all comes down to money and marketing, is it better to have tonnes and tonnes of pesticides on crops or for the crops to be disease and drought resistant, someones knows and ill bet his on gigantic money to keep his mouth shut.

By eating less (or no) meat. Raising meat uses an insane amount of land, grains, and water. The world's hunger, water, and most of the climate change problems could be solved by the world no longer raising mass amounts of animals for meat. We don't need GMO, we need less meat!

And if Monsanto tries to control oxygen, they will be dead meat!!!

Grafting is not GM in any way, it is grafting that is it. I have done several grafts through the years, and if you graft plant "A" to rootstock "B" the resulting seed isn't a mix of the two plants, it is the seed of plant "A" with no change.

Several of the GM crops that are supposedly drought resistant have been found not to be as drought resistant as the old heirlooms, GM plants can have shallower roots (and so do a lot of the new hybrids). The huge problem with GM is that there is evidences that GM products do cause cancer, and with cancer rising so quick it does seem quite true.
Also nearly all GM crops are modified with herbicide in them, so they can be extensively sprayed. Not only does the herbicide cause cancer and lots of other health problems (this is proven), and also kills the bees. But the weeds they are spraying become resident within a year, so the sprays are made to be stronger every year and more harmful. GM corn has become a weed in soybeans, it comes up volunteer and the spay can't kill it. Causing a big problem for farmers
Soybeans (and other plants) have BP (a type of batera pesticide, pod worms) modified into it, and other crops have other types of pesticides modified into them as well. This is causing a problem with "superbugs", which is just like the weeds, they have become very resident to pesticides.

The lawsuits come from cross pollination. So if I am Growing non-GM corn (for example) and have been all my life, saving my own seed so it adaps to my environment. Then I end up with a GM corn in my crop, even if it happens by a bird dropping a seed in my field or by any other means. I will be sued by Monsanto for breach of patent. There have been hundreds of farms in the US that have lost everything to Monsanto!

Yep.

No, you are talking about hybrid crops, it is nowhere near the same thing. A hybrid is made by taking the pollution from tomato plant "A" and pollinating the the flower of tomato plant "B" with it. Creating a mix between the same species of plant. Hybrids can also be created by selectively breeding, only planting the seed of the plant/fruit that has the trait(s) you desire.
GM is modifying the plant on a cellular level, that can only be achieved in a lab. Doing things like, putting herbicide and or pesticide into the genetic makeup of the plant itself. Or placing cells from other species of plant or animal into it. Monsanto made a GM tomato that performed well in colder climates, they achieved this by putting salmon (the fish) into the tomato plant use genetic modification. But the tomatoes had a mushy consistency and they didn't sell in the stores because of it, so this tomato is no longer being produced. They have done similar things with other crops, and I don't know about you, but I don't like animal in my produce, it's just not natural!

Bottom line is, Genetic modification is not the same hybriding, grafting, and selective breeding. GM is new and doesn't go back in history far at all. There are a few (very few) good things about GM, but there are so many bad things that it just isn't worth it!

Excellent and well said. I am not normally a conspiracy freak but isn't this lab grown product extremely dangerous in that it will severely shorten the natural seed supply? I would hate to think that Monsanto could eventually control world food supply. It also makes sense that cancer is on the rise, corn is in just about everything. This is very troubling.... I guess I could send a letter to my congressman.

Sent from my SM-T377V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Excellent and well said. I am not normally a conspiracy freak but isn't this lab grown product extremely dangerous in that it will severely shorten the natural seed supply? I would hate to think that Monsanto could eventually control world food supply. It also makes sense that cancer is on the rise, corn is in just about everything. This is very troubling.... I guess I could send a letter to my congressman.

They have been working on what's called the "terminator" gene in plants, this would make all of the seed their plants produce strual. This would give the few big GM companies near complete control over the world food source. Plus scientist say there is no guarantee that the "terminator" gene couldn't cross into wild plants in time, this may not happen, but if it did just think of what the result could be. :( I get sick of these big companies playing God, just so they can make a buck!
And who do you think put your congressman in office? ;)

They have been working on what's called the "terminator" gene in plants, this would make all of the seed their plants produce strual. This would give the few big GM companies near complete control over the world food source. Plus scientist say there is no guarantee that the "terminator" gene couldn't cross into wild plants in time, this may not happen, but if it did just think of what the result could be. :( I get sick of these big companies playing God, just so they can make a buck!
And who do you think put your congressman in office? ;)
OK, so my thinking is in line. Well, I suppose your right, Monsanto is a huge political money giving machine. This is scary.

Yep.

Perhaps you should speak to Sandra Stegemann and Ralph Bock of the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology.

"Our data demonstrate that plant grafting can result in the exchange of genetic information via either large DNA pieces or entire plastid genomes."

Exchange of Genetic Material Between Cells in Plant Tissue Grafts

Perhaps you should speak to Sandra Stegemann and Ralph Bock of the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology.

"Our data demonstrate that plant grafting can result in the exchange of genetic information via either large DNA pieces or entire plastid genomes.

Exchange of Genetic Material Between Cells in Plant Tissue Grafts

That is quite interesting, thanks for the information. However, saying that grafting is the same as GM created in labs wrong and misleading. You never heard of hybrids and grafted plants being referred to as genetically modified until until these lab made plants showed up, and I don't like it. It is just a way to mislead the public into thinking that it is nothing new, when it is!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back