Auto RAW to JPEG Conversion?

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started using a Mac a little while ago and just downloaded some images shot in RAW. When I went to open them in an image processing program they appeared as JPEG images. How'd that happen?

Mac Trolls, they live in the processor. :biggrin-new:

What Program did you use???

I think iPhoto does stuff like that. So I would imagine other mac programs may do something similar.
It's been a long time though since I used my mac

I think iPhoto does stuff like that.

iPhoto could handle raw files fine. But iPhoto was discontinued several years ago. The new apple app Photos also handles raw files fine.

What image processing program are you using?
What makes you think it showing jpeg images instead of raw?
Any chance you had the camera set on raw+jpg?

I usually use other programs, but I just tried to open a raw file in the app Photos, and in the Preview app (both being apps that came with the operating system), and both just seem to reference the file, not creating a jpg. When I click the info button, it is still raw.

Thank you for the responses. The camera is a Sony a6000. I carefully set it to RAW only because I wanted to see if the image would open in the Photoshop Element's RAW processer as I have installed Photoshop Elements 14 for Mac on the new computer. Now that I look at the information for the photo I see that it is indeed RAW but it doesn't open in Element's RAW processor as RAW images used to on my windows system. It just opens as a JPEG like it's already been converted. Kind of an aside; I am still figuring all this out but I find I can only access images from Mac's photos app to open in Elements or to upload to a site like SmugMug if I move the image out of the app and on to the desktop.

Thank you for the responses. The camera is a Sony a6000. I carefully set it to RAW only because I wanted to see if the image would open in the Photoshop Element's RAW processer as I have installed Photoshop Elements 14 for Mac on the new computer. Now that I look at the information for the photo I see that it is indeed RAW but it doesn't open in Element's RAW processor as RAW images used to on my windows system. It just opens as a JPEG like it's already been converted. Kind of an aside; I am still figuring all this out but I find I can only access images from Mac's photos app to open in Elements or to upload to a site like SmugMug if I move the image out of the app and on to the desktop.
I don´t like apples photos app, so I never use use to import my images.
I´m not quite sure if I understand correctly - are you looking for the original RAW-file, that you have imported, but can´t find it other than in your photos app?
Regarding that Photoshop Elements thing. I had issues opening Sony RAW files for quite a while and used CaptureOne instead. Eventually I found out that my Adobe Camera RAW was outdated, even though I newly installed my photoshop CS6, and adobe updater didn´t tell me that I needed to update. Try to install a newer version: Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6 maybe that solves your RAW/jpg issue.

Oops! Now I see. When I go to open the image in Photoshop there are format options at the bottom of the window where I choose the image. The default option is "Photoshop" but there are others including "Camera RAW". So that problem is solved and thanks for indulging my novice question. I'll start another thread for my opening photos from mac app issue.

Thank you for the responses. I find I can only access images from Mac's photos app to open in Elements or to upload to a site like SmugMug if I move the image out of the app and on to the desktop.

If you are simply dragging the image from Photos to the desktop you will get a jpg not the raw. To export the raw file of to the file menu>Export>Export Unmodified Original.

If your not going to be editing in Photos or with Extensions in Photos you may want to consider getting Lightroom.

If you are using Photoshop Elements on you iMac, there is no point in using Photos at all. I use Elements to import my RAW files from the camera to the iMac and then access the pictures from Elements Organiser.

The only time I have used Photos was on the day I bought the iMac.

Most reactions

Back