B&W conversions

fzfile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Two pics I used to play with Photoshop (finaly) instead of Pixia.
I found this tutorial in one of the photo mags I have for doing lith printing in PS.

I figured I would do the step by step since my previous attemps at learning layers with PS has been a little frustrating.

The 1st is and old pic from when I 1st got my camera (Rebel K2) last fall and was messing with long exposures.
I did the tuorial pretty much word for word on this one.

post1.jpg

The second I started doing my own adjustments to the levels and stuff which helped me get a grasp .... once I knew how to initiate the layers.

cloudray_litho8x10b.jpg

-mike

When using the channel mixer, the best way to do it and still be able to keep the original picture, go to:

LAYER>New Adjustment Layer>Channel Mixer.

It allows you to apply the effect to the picture exactly as if you'd used the normal channel mixer, but the effect is its own layer, with the orginal underneath. As long as you save a .tif with layers or as a .psd, you'll leave yourself room for later correction should you look at it and realize it needs something more or different. I can't wait for Adobe to add a feature that allows you to save history steps.

Thats good to know.

Do you still Flatten the layers???

Can you save layers individually .... or is that what your saying???

It wasnt just a staight conversion .... the tutorial has you do a Contrast and Hue adj. and then a Luminosity tweaking layer ..... then flatten and grain to achieve a lith type look.

I dont really know if mine look like lith prints or not.

I haven't used the channel mixer yet.... I'll have to play with that today.

Does the

-mike

Well, if you save it as a .tif with layers or a .psd, it'll save the entire image with the layers all in one file, which is handy for later adjustments. I personally like to use .psd. It makes for a fairly large file, but it's worth it if you decide to change something later. If you want to create a .jpg to post the image online, you can flatten the layers and save a .jpg separate from the .psd. But I always like to keep my original project without the image flattened.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back