b&w film pushed to iso 1600 :O

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Dew, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

ok, so im having a love/hate relationship with film pushed to iso 1600 :lol: ... one side of me says, "it looks cool, super contrast." ... the other side of me says, "dont ya think that's a bit too much contrast and a little more grain than necessary." :lol: ... but i cant stop ... i will continue to experiment further ...

i used Ilford HP5 Plus 400 ... but pushed it to 1600

ok, this one is digital :lol: ... but just this one .. they're all from the same shoot (Olympus E20 digital)

[​IMG]

***** starting b&w ******

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coming soon ... iso 3200 .. i dont know if i'll be able to stomach that push .. oh, and im aware in the first b&w her dress is wet :p (it was no accident) ... thats my hallway again (arent u guys sick of looking at my hallway?) :p

2. Tammy

Tammy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Afraid the concept of pushing is still over my head so I can't speak to that, but just wanted to let you know that I love that 2nd shot. Your hallway seems like a wonderful backdrop for shots - rather dramatic and has lots of character - nothing like that here. (and yes, I'm jealous) :D

3. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

this is my second 1600 push, im still getting used to it, i dont think i recommend it for outdoors in daylight though :? ... im not crazy about the outdoor shots i did with 1600 ... looks a bit harsh ... now i know better :eek:

it may take me a minute to get used to it :D .. even though i've always loved contrast

my hallway/building is over 100 yrs old :lol: ... u see all that dust on the floor :roll:

4. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

Shes not gona kill her self is she? :shock:

I love the contrast in the first picture. Nice work. :)

5. ceno2000

ceno2000 I AM PUNK ROCK!!

i really love the contrast and composition great work

6. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

nah, she's not gonna kill herself, although i told her to look like it :lol: ... i coached her into what i was looking for (she's an artist, their always easy to deal with) ... i said, "here's the scenario ... its early am, you've been out partying all night in this cocktail dress, someone spilled booze on you ... u saw your bf with another woman and you're hung over ... :lol: .. there is no end in sight."

the first color photo, i wanted it to look un-naturally posed, stiff

... this was a pet project, i hired the model to pose for me and teamed up with a make-up artist :D

7. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well the purpose of pushing is to have more speed when shooting in limited light. So if you've got plenty of light, go with a slower film.

The photos are awesome Dew. Especially the last one. I love the mood and contrast of that shot. The skin in #2 looks a bit to white. Are these scans from prints? or scans of the negative?

8. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

scans from negs ..

in all of them .. she's a little bright :oops: ... she had really bright pale skin ... the second one is also the furthest from the light .... then again, i could have over-exposed it by a 1/3 .. dont remember

9. wdawson

wdawson TPF Noob!

love the two black and whites........they have that grunge look........could have been used on a nirvava cd cover.

10. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey ya dew!

i like 'em all. Brilliant colours on that first one, it looks like a magazine, i don't mind the pose at all, i love the symmetry and choice of colours!

i love number 2, thats my favourite here! Did she get mad at you for spilling a drink on her dress? I love and her expression and love the contrasty work, white complexion and all!

All the elements are there for the last one, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me :scratch: I am thinking something is missing or maybe she looks to posed? For some reason it doesn't look as constrasty and grainy and so it doesn't have the same 'bite' as number 2. But maybe that is what you were after?

11. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

as i mentioned in another post (a while ago) ... i dont like to give the subject too much control, i dont have that much confidence that they will do the right thing in front of the camera :p ... im creative director/photographer :p ...

especially when its a personal project, i want to have it look a certain way ... i like all my photos to have some normalcy ... with yet a "twisted" look (hence, TwistedLense :lol: ) ... so in this case, the water on the dress is the "wild card" .. it looks out of place and makes the viewer wonder what happened :lol:

im working really hard to build my portfolio over the next few months or so ... im trying to get some magazine editorial portrait work :lol: ... i've seen a few photographer's work that do this sort of thing ... their pretty good ... but im on their tail :lol: ... with a little more hard work and effort (and critique from u guys :p ) ... it just may pay off some day :D

got another shoot this weekend (personal project) .. not sure what im going to do with her yet ... got any ideas? :lol:

12. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    --- do you want the R rated version or family friendly version? :D

i love that splash of water on the dress, its very subtle - it was only a secondary to the subject but you are right - it does add alot to the storyline that the users can read into. I love that type of stuff :)

Good luck with your pursuits! I love your work and I am sure it will take ya far! :D