back button focusing- who uses it and when?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just tried back button focusing yesterday on my D7000. I have had the camera 3 years and hadn't tried it yet.
I was using it for an osprey nest that has an active pair in it. Looking for any advice by those who use it and any tips.
Yes, I read the manual and watched some videos. Looking for any other comments
Thanks,
Nancy

I set up for BBF so I can 'set' the focus and never have to worry about it. I do this for 98% of my shooting as I nor the subject moves much. When I'm shooting action (sports, moving critters, etc), I use the 'normal' shutter-release focus as it's just easier for me to do so.

Nancy. I have a Canon 7D (and previously a T3i) and I have used bbf on them both almost exclusively. I find it to be so much easier to use than the shutter button. I can maintain focus on sports and birds. I also don't have to worry as much when I am wanting to focus and recompose.

I have done it both ways as Sparky and Ron. I think both ways work equally as good. It does take some time to stop the index finger going for the front button and it may seem weird at first using the BBF, at least for me it did.

Last edited:
These days the only time I don't use back-button AF is if I pass my camera to someone else who isn't a photographer (because back-button confuses them). Otherwise I use backbutton AF or manual mode (for lenses which don't have full-time manual focusing control).

All the rest of the time I use back-button. It does take a little while to get used to it; but the power of being able to separate metering and taking the shot from the focusing motors engaging, is very powerful. It also lets you use continuous AF like a single shot AF because you just focus with the backbutton down and then as soon as its locked you can release your finger and the camera won't focus any more - you can meter, recompose and take the shot and the AF won't try to shift one bit.

It's very empowering and a very good mode to use and I'd strongly recommend learning to shoot in back-button AF mode.

Wow, 4 'supporting members' are my 1st responses..thanks guys.
Will try again tonight, it does take getting used to..

@Overread - when I first started using bbf, I did the same thing. I would switch it back for my wife or kids. Now, I just show them the focus button and the shutter button. They are about the only ones that use my camera besides me and I figured it was just as easy to teach them as to keep switching. The kids seemed to have picked it up no problem.

85% of the time I use back button focus all the time

I use BBF 99% of the time. There is a bit of a learning curve when starting out, but after awhile, it will become second nature. I shoot a lot of action and I find it easier to jab the rear button than to have to be constantly aware of the pressure on the shutter release button.

I've tried it and it works OK but with my camera and my hands, reaching to push the back button causes the camera to move around. It's much more stable for me just to use half-push.
Different story when on a tripod since it's a good idea there.

use it 100% of the time on my dslrs, don't use it on my X100T. I tend to use facial recognition focusing on the X100T (or at least I'm using it for a while, might shift back after a few months, currently undecided), back button doesn't work all that well with facial recognition focusing.

I went out again tonight using it on same Osprey nest. My D7000 has single focus point which I use for birds. Without knowing exactly
where the bird will be on a landing, any advice?
I set a tripod angled at nest with the wind/breeze coming from my back.
Instead of pinpoint focus points, I set 9 or more focus points. F 8-11
Does that help...or even make sense :{
N

Remember AF works by finding the closest point of contrast difference the camera can detect under the AF sensor(s) that you've told it to use.

This means that yes sometimes using a number of the AF points in a segment (some cameras allow this) or all the AF points makes sense when the subject is going to be close, but could come from multiple angles.

However for a bird you might also find that the AF then grabs the leading edge of the nearest wing and thus leaves the head and body out of focus.

For something like the bird the best would be to have the camera setup aimed toward the nest, but then have yourself not viewing behind the camera. Instead be scanning the horizon - so long as you've got some warning you can at least get an idea of where the bird is approaching from. If you are cleaver and can view through the viewfinder with your right eye you can just about get to a point where you can scan the horizon with your left and view through the camera with your right (its tricky, takes lots of practice and can backfire sometimes but it can be done).

I have just moved to back button focussing over the last 3 months.
I shoot sports almost exclusively. Continuous focus mode.
It still catches me out "in the heat of battle" ... I will instinctively hit the shutter release without having focused with the back button ... or I will press harder with the back button, without even touching the shutter release!!! I have taken the advice of others to keep at it. I am certainly getting more comfortable with it.

The single most compelling reason FOR ME to change was the realisation that back button focussing allows for TWO modes of focussing without having to change any settings.
1) AF-C: continuous focussing - just hold the back button down whilst you follow the action. (this is what I would do for 97.256% of my shooting
2) AF-S: single shot focussing - pick the subject element you want to focus on. Press the back button until it acquires focus, then RELEASE ... recompose to suit.
Until I went to back button focussing, I could not do BOTH without having to change the focus mode setting - often inconvenient or missed the shot.
That has been the ONLY advantage for ME in what I shoot - but it is a big enough advantage for me to stay with it. It is taking some time to develop the coordination to control two buttons in a shooting sequence rather than just the shutter release.

Two other issues for ME have also arisen.
1) because I shoot with my left eye, I have had to alter my positioning as I found my thumb was pressing too hard into my face!!!
2) on my gripped camera body, when I shoot in portrait orientation, I have a less secure grip on the right hand side of the camera body. Whereas before I had the right hand thumb to also grip firmly on the back of the camera, now I don't hold it so much with my right thumb and it feels less secure.
If anyone can provide some suggestions on that issue, I'd be very grateful.

Sometimes, when I'm shooting, I think I should maybe go back to using the shutter release ... BUT that soon gets dismissed when I think about (and use) the two separate modes of focussing WITHOUT having to change the setting on the side of the camera. In shoots that involve a mixture of static and moving subjects, it is a no brainer - back button is much more efficient and versatile.
I am getting more confident with it as I keep using it. As I said, in moments of really fast situations, it is not as intuitive for me as I would like ... but I'm going to stick with it. I know people have said once they started using back button focussing, they would never go back. I can see now why they say that ... I will certainly stick with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back