Back to Basics

I think one of the pleasures of coming back to old items, is the satisfaction you get from knowing you made the picture happen.

You have to focus, you have to advance the film, you set the shutter speed, you set the aperture, all based on your interpretation of the light meter reading. And with film, you have a finite number of shots.

Just to wax philosophical, you develop a "friendship" if you will, with you camera. You trust that if you put in the right adjustments, your camera buddy will do it part and deliver the proper exposure. Like most friends; cameras often have unique quirks. But the personal satisfaction and ego boost really feels good.

I like my digital camera, it saves time and certainly money when compared to film, and digitals allow you to concentrate on the subject, without all the troublesome set up. They also make for easy manipulation and distribution of your photographs.

But for those who want to step of the path and let the world go by for a bit. Or, if you are the type that likes to tinker. Those old film cameras are patiently waiting your call.

Ron, well said. I use digital where appropriate, but with this shut down, I have plenty of time to slow down, go back to basics, shoot film and appreciate the differences. It reminds me of climbing behind the wheel of a 70's sports car like the one I raced back then, a manual transmission and snicking through the gears, heel and toeing coming into a corner. There is something pleasurable in manipulating a fine machine and putting it through it's paces. We have a problem with high school kids stealing cars here but if you have a manual transmission it is safe.

Ron, well said. I use digital where appropriate, but with this shut down, I have plenty of time to slow down, go back to basics, shoot film and appreciate the differences. It reminds me of climbing behind the wheel of a 70's sports car like the one I raced back then, a manual transmission and snicking through the gears, heel and toeing coming into a corner. There is something pleasurable in manipulating a fine machine and putting it through it's paces. We have a problem with high school kids stealing cars here but if you have a manual transmission it is safe.

True

“Just to wax philosophical, you develop a "friendship" if you will, with you camera. You trust that if you put in the right adjustments, your camera buddy will do it part and deliver the proper exposure. Like most friends; cameras often have unique quirks. But the personal satisfaction and ego boost really feels good”. ••••••••••••••well said!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back