Backdrops, should I get one?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Wolfeh, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Wolfeh

Wolfeh New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm an amateur photographer who would like to photograph her dogs inside on a background that is not distracting, preferably solid. They are small dogs, so I don't need a large backdrop.

I've read that muslins are basically very fragile and like linens, is this true? I also read that you can't even iron them. I would like something that can be ironed and isn't fragile, as well as being not so expensive. Would it just be better for me to go with a top sheet? Because its durable and can be ironed. If you think I should use a muslin, is there a company or site that sells them that you consider reliable? When looking at amazon no one really reviewed the muslins there.
  2. Tony S

Tony S New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +598 / 0
    Head on over to the nearest Joann Fabrics or some other store and find yoruself a piece of material that you like. Other options are in the bedding section of a store, just find something that doesn't have a reflective shiny surface. If you like the results from yoru "cheap" backdrop then consider something more substantial. There are so many options to buying a pre-made backdrop.
  3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,070 / 1
    For a plain background many pros use seamless paper.

It comes in a wide variety of colors. Here are 53" x 12 yrd rolls. (4.4 feet x 36 feet)

savage 53" seamless paper