Bad Camera Photo competition?

I've seen some frightful pictures taken with APS plastic auto cameras. I reckon it shouldn't be limited to 35mm as there are literally hundreds of dreadful digital cameras out there.

Come on Hertzy write us some rules! How are we going to judge the artistic merit fairly?

I think I might donate a prize to the winner.... It might be a camera. That camera might be very very poor. :)

Rob

Judging Rules

1. Photos must be a maximum size of 2.5" square.
2. The 'Stair'* method of judging will be used.
3. HvR's decision is final, absolute and not open to question.
4. Minimum bribe is £10/$20.
5. List of winners to be published not less than 10 days before the start of the competition.
6. Photos with less than 10% clock will be inelligible.

*The 'Stair' method is a standard method of marking exam work used by teachers in the UK.
The Judge stands at the top of the stairs and throws all the entries up into the air. The one that lands nearest to the bottom step wins (and gets an A* at GCSE).
In the event of a tie the biggest bribe or the best offer decides.

Hertz van Rental said:
I think you need set rules to define 'rubbish camera' otherwise people will legitimately be able to use their Canons :lol:
whatever makes you happy! :lol:

Rob,

I don't think we should club Polaroid/Holga gang with the disposables/camera phone.

Hertz van Rental said:
Judging Rules

1. Photos must be a maximum size of 2.5" square.
2. The 'Stair'* method of judging will be used.
3. HvR's decision is final, absolute and not open to question.
4. Minimum bribe is £10/$20.
5. List of winners to be published not less than 10 days before the start of the competition.
6. Photos with less than 10% clock will be inelligible.

*The 'Stair' method is a standard method of marking exam work used by teachers in the UK.
The Judge stands at the top of the stairs and throws all the entries up into the air. The one that lands nearest to the bottom step wins (and gets an A* at GCSE).
In the event of a tie the biggest bribe or the best offer decides.

I might opt for greater clock, but ok - you da man.

#2 reminds me of that urban legend about a boss. The boss was swamped with job applications for a new position that had arisen in his deparment. He'd got a boy to sift the applications, but there were still thousands, so the boy went to the boss and asked for help. The boss divided the pile into two and threw half in the bin. The boy commented that it wasn't fair. The boss argued that he didn't want anyone unlucky working for him.

Rob

danalec99 said:
Rob,

I don't think we should club Polaroid/Holga gang with the disposables/camera phone.
Quite right.
I think we should just club the Polaroid/Holga gang.

Works for me.

Club them all.
Hanging's too good for them.

I want to be known as 'the hanging judge',

Or should that be 'the hung judge'?

Rob said:
I might use this. It's my best camera at it's highest setting. Full rez too!

ohdear.jpg

Have the exact same one on my computer right now. I won't even add any noise with my submission! ;)

How cheap is cheap? Do you want to compare an image from a cheap MF body with one from a 35mm disposable?

perhaps we can have seperate categories for:
35mm disposable
cam phone
holga
polaroid
whatever

then again, it may be too much. I'm merely thinking aloud.

couple of other things to ponder:
- on what grounds the images be judged - technical perfection? composition?
- Is post processing involved? If so, how much?

No matter what, I think this is an excellent idea. Kudos to you, Rob!

Rob said:
Hertz: What are you gonna use?

You could buy this, the seller is obviously a very impressive photographer:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/very-nice-gold-camera-extremely-cheap-low-P-P-L-K_W0QQitemZ5647808183QQcategoryZ88433QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:lol: the postage is twice what he's asking for the camera....

I think we should all use the same camera. We could all take one frame each, posting it to the next person when we have taken our shot.

I may have the perfect camera. I'll dig it out.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hertz van Rental said:
:lol: the postage is twice what he's asking for the camera....

I think we should all use the same camera. We could all take one frame each, posting it to the next person when we have taken our shot.

I may have the perfect camera. I'll dig it out.

The "same camera" idea is a great one, but logistically very very difficult and time consuming. I'm quite up for perhaps two competitions - a disposable camera competition and a general use what you like as long as it's crap. Whatd'ya think?

Rob said:
The "same camera" idea is a great one, but logistically very very difficult and time consuming. I'm quite up for perhaps two competitions - a disposable camera competition and a general use what you like as long as it's crap. Whatd'ya think?
I think the time consideration is an essential part.
It could take a year, if it didn't get lost. Then someone could dev the film and wonder what the Hell it was all about. And no-one would be able to remember which picture was theirs, bringing in a vital element of fairness into what I intend to be a rigged contest.

Most reactions

Back