Battery Life: Not long enough

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by maulrat, Nov 5, 2008.

1. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone have this problem? I've just recently purchased a Sigma 18-200mm OS lens and I feel that my batteries are being burned up faster than when I only had my Nifty-50. I have read about turning off image stabilization because that eats up batteries. I believe this to be true because I left OS on the other day and I went through 2 batteries like nothing.

Howerver, last night I was taking photos of the city. I was using between 2-20 second shots, had OS off and was using only manual focus. Again, I burned up my battery faster than when I was using the 50mm.

So what is the deal here? Since only owning a prime prior this experience, does a zoom lens normally eat battery power faster than primes? Thanks in advance.

Here is one of the shots I was taking last night.

[​IMG]

2. DavidSR

DavidSR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In my opinion it's the OS that's draining your battery a little faster than normal. There's more in your lens than just focusing now..you have a focusing motor and a OS motor. If this is wrong..someone please correct me.

EDIT: I just read the ENTIRE post and you had OS off..sorry..than I am of no help lol..maybe your batter is just starting to not hold a charge like before.

3. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Uh yeah.... well, I have no idea about the answer to your questions, but I love that shot! Especially the vivid color reflections on the water. Great job!

4. Braomius

Braomius TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awesome shot the only thing I'd change is make the clouds pop more, can prob do it in photoshop.

5. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks jenn76 :D

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bigger lenses tend to use more power for AF and yes the OS will use more power. I haven't heard of them them eating batteries though, but they are fairly new to the market.

It's possible that your lens does have some sort of electrical short that is draining the batteries or maybe the batteries are dieing.

If possible, you could try out another battery, lens, camera body and use the process of elimination to determine where the problem lies.

7. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure I can find a way to brighten, wb correct, then D&B the clouds to get em more perfect but I didn't have much time last night for processing. I will tonight though :)

8. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I pretty sure the long exposures are eating up your batteries.

9. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a fully charged battery in my camera right now. After work, I will head out to a park and fire off some day shots; both using AF and perhaps some with OS on. I will update this post with my results of shots fired and % battery used tonight.

I have 2 batteries but probably need more for a weekend shoot I have coming up in a couple of weeks. Unless I can get my hands on a car charger :)

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.

10. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is definitely the new lens. I have the standard 18-55 Nikkor kit lens, and I get about 500 shots or more out of my battery, depending on the flash, etc.. When I mount my Sigma 70-300, which is much heavier and much harder to turn, the battery dies much, much faster. I reckon it's just the resistance of the weight and the higher flash power needed for the slower lens, etc.. You're not imagining things.

11. zubair851

zubair851 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that's a fantastic shot... i like the bright colors and the blurry effect on the water.

12. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I figured that. I'm pretty much comparing the power consumption of using a cotton ball vs. a brick (Nifty-50 vs. Sigma super-zoom)