Been away for awhile, thought I'd stop back.

Kyle M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all I joined here last February because I had just switched from shooting mainly Medium Format film to a Canon 60d. Sometime last April or May I lost interest and went back to film, now I am shooting mainly 4x5. But a week ago I went to a local camera store and traded in a handful of 35mm bodies and lenses I had collected for a near mint Nikon D200 with a shutter count of 12,000, a MB-D200 grip, and a 50mm 1.8D. I realize it's an 11 year old 10mp dslr but for what I do it'll be fine, mainly snap shots or when I don't feel like carrying my Large Format gear. And the 50mm 1.8 on a DX sensor is pretty much the perfect all around lens for most of my shooting. Most of my serious work is still shot on B&W 4x5, but I wanted something digital for playing around. I've finally started shooting RAW and using lightroom, which I was avoiding last time because I didn't want to spend hours editing hundreds of shots. But I've gotten my digital shooting down to the volume of my film shooting and I no longer come back from a day out with 300 shots and only 25 or 30 decent ones. I now come home with 25 or 30 decent to good shots, and a couple great shots.

Howdy!

I'm also about to get a digital camera just for playing around while most of my work is still on film (though I'm still working with 35mm and medium format primarily. Plans to get into LF, though.) The organizing and editing is something I don't relish either, and don't plan on giving myself volumes of images to manage. I'll be trying to follow your lead and shoot digital the same way I shoot film.

I went LF because 35mm wasn't cutting it for me and I was at the point with MF where even 6x9 took me several days to get through 8 shots. I go out with the 4x5's and get a shot or two, 3 or 4 on a really good day. I started cheap with a $175 Speed Graphic and 1930's barrel lens, and then moved up to an early Arca Swiss monorail. I currently have 5 lenses all together only one of which is a modern multicoated lens. I still find that I shoot the Speed Graphic the most, not only is it way easier to pack and carry but my subject matter rarely demands the movements offered by a monorail. I'd go 8x10 if it weren't for the cost of a decent field camera. Even I'm not bold enough to try to backpack with an 8x10 monorail. The D200 allows me to go for a quick walk in the woods and get some good shots, or if I need something in a hurry for web posting be it for a sale, or social media, or what not. I've owned several digital point and shoots but after years of shooting fully manual and a few automated 35mm slr's it just doesn't feel right. And mirrorless and I don't get along because I'm a viewfinder person, not a fan of live view and I haven't found an EVF I really like yet.

Hello and welcome back, Kyle.

I find myself coming and going quite often as well. No matter what, I can't seem to shake the place for too long though! ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back