Beginner photographer struggling!

lakers808

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i had my camera for like a month already nikon d40 .. the first week i had it i was using auto settings but learning manual at the same time .. does it matter if it takes me long time to figure out the whole auto settings ? and being able to go to manual mode straight ?.. example i would mess around with the manual settings right after taking photos with auto setttings then take photos with my manual settings right after .. i use auto settings but not alot tough now im straight to manual

It really all depends on what you want to do. There's no real order in which you learn your camera. Shoot auto, look at the settings and try to understand why the camera chose to use those particular settings. Then shoot manual, matching the same settings and altering in various ways. Just keep practicing!

And most importantly, buy, and read this book. Learn it, love it. Take as long as you need to understand this book and you'll eventually "get it" as best as anyone else.

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't over complicate it.
Go out and take some pictures and have some fun on the auto settings.
Then experiment using A mode and different Apertures, from there branch out.
After a year or so once you get the hang of it then go back and mess around with shooting manual if you still think you need that.

I don't know.

I like the idea of learning to use manual mode first and then playing with the auto modes because the in the auto modes the camera frequently makes crummy choices that would be counter productive to emulate.

Auto mode is not "the be all to end all" many make it out to be.

Now this may all come from the fact that when I learned photography there was no auto. Nothing was auto. Manual focus and manual settings. Period.

It really all depends on what you want to do. There's no real order in which you learn your camera. Shoot auto, look at the settings and try to understand why the camera chose to use those particular settings. Then shoot manual, matching the same settings and altering in various ways. Just keep practicing!

^^ This is exactly how I've been teaching/taught myself the manual settings on my camera. I would shoot different area's and scenes on auto, and look at the settings the camera picked. Then I would go to manual mode and use that as a guide, and then tweek it to suit my needs.

After a while, you'll learn what all the settings mean, and know what setting you need for certain shots, and it won't be nearly as difficult.

Keep practicing, everyone starts somewhere. :thumbup:

getting into photography is like anything else, practice and you'll get good at it over time. With digital cameras it is easier to take a quick look at the shots right after you took them. You kind of get that instant feedback on how you have done. If the picture didn't turn out good or the way you like, try changing the composition, lighting, or camera settings and see. Keep taking a lot of pictures and advancing your skill as you go. It is a fun and enjoyable hobby.

thnx for the tips... ill sure do my best and follow through... btw how do i put a profile picture by my user name?

My advice would be to choose when the right time is to use manual. Sure it's great for macro and portraits but it absolutely sucks when photographing candid shots of young kids. I have tried taking shots of my nieces and even though I can move manual modes fairly quick, it's no match for their energy... In my opinion, I would rather use Program or Tv and nail the shot and have the memory forever than be messing with the dials and miss the precious moment.

thnx 4 all the good tips .. i will do that and it will be better for me ... i was irriated of wat i wachted on youtube it said that the nikon d40 doesnt have a built in manual focus motor only auto? somthng like that .. oh and um is it possible to make my photo full potential quality without havn to edit it at all?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back