Beginner SLR?

KKJUN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Folks, I've been looking into buying a film SLR. I basically wanted to just buy a cheap lens, but then I found out that a body behind that lens isn't really a lot more expensive. So, the question is; which camera is the one to buy?

I'd like to get something beginner-friendly, not to high end, but not to bad, something like the d40 of the SLR world. It should have some sort of shutter priority mode. So, any advise?

Film slr cameras are so cheap these days that there's little reason to go with anything but the best. You should be able to find an F100 body for around $200 used.

If you want something cheaper, and manual focus, then an FE, FM, FE2, or FM2 are all great choices for < $100.

I'd like to get something beginner-friendly, not to high end, but not to bad, something like the d40 of the SLR world. It should have some sort of shutter priority mode. So, any advise?

The Canon AE-1 and Canon AE-1 Program are popular starter cameras and
they both have a shutter priority mode. They are also plentiful and don't
cost much and there are zillions of lenses available for them (Canon FD
mount).

Well, thanks for the help so far. Looks like I've got a wide selection of cameras to choose from. One last quick question: Does anyone know if there's Canon FD to 4/3 adapters (looked on ebay and amazon, only found FD to m4/3)?

I can second the Canon AE-1. I got mine in 1979, and it's still going strong (it's my daughter's camera now). I found it to be durable and easy to operate. But I think you'll do fine with any old Nikon or Canon. They both have tons of cheap, good-quality lenses and accessories available.

I can second the Canon AE-1. I got mine in 1979, and it's still going strong (it's my daughter's camera now). I found it to be durable and easy to operate. But I think you'll do fine with any old Nikon or Canon. They both have tons of cheap, good-quality lenses and accessories available.

AE-1 is a great camera, but watch out for squeaky/slow shutter issues--they seem to occur more in these then other older slrs.

One plus on nikon is you could use the same lenses on your d40.

I guess I'll look out for a AE-1. Thanks for the info.

Two AE-1's here. A nearly bulletproof SLR with many good accessories to choose from. Pick one up with a 50MM lens and go shoot some film. Don't worry about lenses,power winders or other unneeded foo-foo just yet. Maybe a flash if you like that kinda photography. Manuals are available online to explain how to use the camera. Don't get caught up in the gimme more stuff syndrome. Spend that money on film and processing and I believe that rest will come along later.

Hi Folks, I've been looking into buying a film SLR. I basically wanted to just buy a cheap lens, but then I found out that a body behind that lens isn't really a lot more expensive. So, the question is; which camera is the one to buy?

It was suggested that since you're already into Nikon lenses try the N2020. It's small, durable, and unlike most cheapies, it has a nice, smooth shutter.

It was suggested that since you're already into Nikon lenses try the N2020. It's small, durable, and unlike most cheapies, it has a nice, smooth shutter.

The N2020/F501 is indeed a very nice camera. However, it was one of the first consumer SLR with auto focus, so don't expect good performance in that regard. Otherwise, it's a very user friendly camera because it has the right balance of manual vs auto functions for a beginner. I had it for 10 years before I moved on to something better.

Also, the view finder is amazing. The shutter sound will give any mechanical fanatic a boner.

I always see N series Nikon 35mm SLR bodies on craigslist for cheap (well under $100 without a lens, in most cases) if you're interested in modern auto-focus bodies. The N80 is an awesome camera if you can find one. And deals can definitely be found! I was patient on a Canon AE-1 and got it in great condition with 2 functioning flashes for $30. The Canon Elan 7 I use as my main camera I got with a battery pack for $75.

I will second the motion for the N2020. It's one of my favorite Nikons and
available at very low cost.

The N2020 was one of the first AF SLRs and it is often pointed out that its
AF performance is slow. One famous camera site even calls it "painfully
slow" but I think that is a gross exaggeration and I disagree. Yes, it is
slower than more modern AF SLRs but it's hardly "painfully slow." My N2020
with 50mm AF lens takes about ½ second to focus between near focus
and infinity. Most situations are much faster. In my book this makes it more
than adequate for most photography. It is certainly faster than using an
MF lens, at least for me. I wouldn't use it to photograph birds in flight or a
basketball game but it's certainly fast enough for nearly all types of
photography other than fast action. Granted, the AF works best with
faster prime lenses. Using it with slower lenses such as zooms or long teles
can bog it down. I only use my N2020 with primes no slower than 2.8-4

Other pluses that the N2020 offers:

- It's one of the few AF SLRs that have classic controls (shutter speed
dial, aperture ring, ISO setting, frame counter, etc.) and does not use any
sort of external LED screen. You can easily see the camera's settings even
when it is turned off. The controls are also easy to use by feel. If you are
familiar with using manual focus SLRs you should have no "learning curve"
in using the N2020.

- The N2020 has very rugged, sturdy construction, more rugged than
most N-series models having an all-metal frame. It's also more rugged
than comparably priced AF SLRs of similar vintage.

- The camera was made to use both AF and MF lenses and the viewfinder
has an electronic rangefinder for use with MF lenses complete with arrows
that illustrate which direction to adjust focus. Any Nikon AI, AIS or AF
mount lens can be used. There is also a dedicated accessory, the TC16a
teleconverter, which provides AF ability with MF lenses.

- It has plenty of automation (AE, Program AE, TTL flash) plus metered
manual modes.

- It accepts interchangeable focusing screens. I like the "E" type screen
with grid lines but there are several to choose from.

- Uses common AA or AAA batteries.

- The N2020 is the only Nikon besides the F3AF that can auto-focus the
special F3AF lenses. (OK, that's a pretty obscure advantage but hey ... :D)

I would look at manual top-of the line cameras from the 70s and 80s. Canon F-1, Nikon F2 or F3, Leicaflex SL, SL2, Leica R series, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back