Beginner SLR?

^ If you have the 50 f/1.8 (or any other lens) lens with the "A" marking on the aperture setting, then your AE-1 has shutter priority mode. You have to press the button on the ring, turn it so that the "A" lines up with the f-stop setting mark, and you're good to go -- the camera will use whatever f-stop is shown on the meter in your viewfinder.

You can get a good Minolta X-700 with a 50mm lens at a reasonable price on ebay. They are good high quality cameras, rugged and very user friendly.
I have had several over the years and they keep going strong. I got my daughter an X-370 and it is a work horse.

damn, just checked this thread again after a rather long time. So many comments! thank you guys for helping me out and giving me so many opinions. I'll be trying to get a n2020, because I still haven't found a fd-to-4/3-adapter. Again, thanks for the great supportk, and one last question: The n2020 uses the f-mount, right?

AE-1 is a great camera, but watch out for squeaky/slow shutter issues--they seem to occur more in these then other older slrs.

AE-1 is old enough that almost all of them (if not CLA'd or repaired recently) suffer from this. My recent experience is that 4/5 are developing slow shutter issues.

AE-1 is a great camera, but watch out for squeaky/slow shutter issues--they seem to occur more in these then other older slrs.

AE-1 is old enough that almost all of them (if not CLA'd or repaired recently) suffer from this. My recent experience is that 4/5 are developing slow shutter issues.

Given the depressed prices of many former top-line models, it hardly seems worthwhile to bother with the low end stuff.

Given the depressed prices of many former top-line models, it hardly seems worthwhile to bother with the low end stuff.

But even former high end can cost a pretty penny when a CLA is involved... that is unless you have the resources to get it done cheaply. There's not many places that still do that type of work inexpensively. This is the reason why I would proceed with caution.

Fortunately for me, one of the good business relationships I have developed in the years past involves 4 older chinese gentlemen in an old hole-in-the-wall with more than 100 years accumulated experience in repairing old cameras. All my stuff, including very expensive Leica stuff that would require a trip to Solms, Germany have been repaired by them fairly inexpensively.

But I digress.....

Here's something no one has pointed out....

You can actually buy not-yet-classics cheaper than many of the "classic" mechanical cameras mentioned. Their younger age and updated designs (electronic shutters) make them ideal for consideration (age and lack of use alone will kill older cloth shutters). Furthermore, they are not considered classics, collectables, nor sought after for replacement parts... you don't have to compete with others on price.

Example... Canon EOS A2E, which was considered a wonderful camera of its time, goes for between under $40 bucks. Want to take advantage of FD lenses instead? The last FD body the T90 which is the top of the line professional body goes for about $50-100. Heck one of my all time favorites the Elan II (because of the dial layouts, eye-control and red focus assist) is a consumer body going for $10.

Many of the suggestions will come with nostalgic reasons.... unfortunately the popularity of these models also drives up price and the older the body the more likely it will require a CLA.

In summary... looking for a cheap user? Look towards the less popular younger cameras.

But even former high end can cost a pretty penny when a CLA is involved... that is unless you have the resources to get it done cheaply. There's not many places that still do that type of work inexpensively. This is the reason why I would proceed with caution.

Fortunately for me, one of the good business relationships I have developed in the years past involves 4 older chinese gentlemen in an old hole-in-the-wall with more than 100 years accumulated experience in repairing old cameras. All my stuff, including very expensive Leica stuff that would require a trip to Solms, Germany have been repaired by them fairly inexpensively.

But I digress.....

Here's something no one has pointed out....

You can actually buy not-yet-classics cheaper than many of the "classic" mechanical cameras mentioned. Their younger age and updated designs (electronic shutters) make them ideal for consideration (age and lack of use alone will kill older cloth shutters). Furthermore, they are not considered classics, collectables, nor sought after for replacement parts... you don't have to compete with others on price.

Example... Canon EOS A2E, which was considered a wonderful camera of its time, goes for between under $40 bucks. Want to take advantage of FD lenses instead? The last FD body the T90 which is the top of the line professional body goes for about $50-100. Heck one of my all time favorites the Elan II (because of the dial layouts, eye-control and red focus assist) is a consumer body going for $10.

Many of the suggestions will come with nostalgic reasons.... unfortunately the popularity of these models also drives up price and the older the body the more likely it will require a CLA.

In summary... looking for a cheap user? Look towards the less popular younger cameras.

I was thinking of cameras such as Canon F-1 New, Pentax LX, Nikon F2, Minolta XK, Leicaflex SL, Leica R3, etc.

Made me chuckle: was watching a film on TCM this morning involving an underwater excavation of some ancient Greek site by a team led by Jacques Cousteau. They brought up some antiquities and were photographing them...with a Miranda! :lmao:

Miranda-TM.jpg

Often overlooked are Alpas. The Alpa 10d was magnificent:

Pignons-Alpa-10d.jpg

Last edited:
Petraio, you may be useful to keep around if we can keep you off of hot topics. Did you actually chuckle? Hmmm, might be human after all.

Made me chuckle: was watching a film on TCM this morning involving an underwater excavation of some ancient Greek site by a team led by Jacques Cousteau. They brought up some antiquities and were photographing them...with a Miranda! :lmao:

I have a Miranda Sensorex EE outfit with 3 lenses which I use occasionally.
It's a fine camera with spot & average metering, auto & manual exposure
modes, removable prism, and quiet shutter. It's a beautifully made camera
with excellent lenses.

Petraio, you may be useful to keep around if we can keep you off of hot topics. Did you actually chuckle? Hmmm, might be human after all.

Well at least Miranda was better than Petri....

Now remember, I am not a 'photographer' and do not belong to the "photographer culture". Think of me as a philosopher who knows a lot about photography and we'll all get along fine.

I have a Miranda Sensorex EE outfit with 3 lenses which I use occasionally.
It's a fine camera with spot & average metering, auto & manual exposure
modes, removable prism, and quiet shutter. It's a beautifully made camera
with excellent lenses.

They were OK, just never very popular. At the time, Canon was hardly any different. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I was thinking of cameras such as Canon F-1 New, Pentax LX, Nikon F2, Minolta XK, Leicaflex SL, Leica R3, etc.

Leica R series - I would vote against.. Glass is relatively expensive due to the Leica branding and the collectors market.

Leicaflex SL - For the same reason above.

Pentax LX - Great! camera! I have one. Probably one the best made camera of its time. A nice balance between HIGH quality, features, and size. They are built like tanks. One problem.... again... very expensive. A good conditioned one still can fetch up to $300 USD. The LX 2000 is an absolutely stunning. I want one for my collection but I can't justify the price. I don't see numerous LX's on the used market... which again drives up price.

The Canon F-1 is going to be a bit expensive as well... up to $200.

I'm not so sure with the Nikon and Minolta. Nikon glass tends to hold their value well because the current backwards compatibility with the current DSLRs from Nikon.

The OP mentioned cheap and beginner..... I don't think "old" is going to work because of the possible cost of CLA and maintenance. I don't think high end will bring enough value to the table for a beginner. Now throw "old" and "high-end" together doesn't make a good beginner user camera either.

Most reactions

Back