Beginner! So feel free to pick this photo apart (nicely) ;)

Carson38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello~ I'm just starting out with my photography career. I am wait for a class to come up soon. But I'm not the sit around and wait kinda of person so until I find a class I have been teaching myself. So please feel free to give me some advice and tell me what I'm doing wrong! Thank you :)

37310_406248314233_629459233_449933.jpg

dalton.jpg

d4.jpg

d2.jpg

A few thoughts:

#1 it almost looks distorted, like his head is really wide (sorry if he just has a really wide head naturally but it doesn't look like it in the other shots). Otherwise it's a great capture and the background blur is excellent and focus is spot on.

#2 is nice as part of an album of memories

#3 is good, similar comments to #1 except it lacks contrast and overall punch

#4 the white balance is too warm, and the focus is a bit soft on the eyes

Carson, look at 1,3 and 4. Dont you think he has different color skins on all of them but it looks like he is in the same lighting condition. My suggestion is to stop using auto White Balance. Your camera has a few preset setting. You probably need to switch this one to SUN or SHADE.

But if you shoot in RAW, you can change the WB on the computer. But it is better if you get it right the first time or close.

Thanks guys! I love the advice. I do agree with everything you both said. Fokker, he does have a wide head to begin with :???: But it doesn't look like it in the others cause it's at a different angle (or he has his head turned just a little). But again Thanks!!!!!!

I think number 3 looks alittle cool and number 4 looks alittle warm.

I almost forgot to say 1 looks nice and 2 looks wonderful. Keep shooting your doing good. I'm still learning stuff as well

The lighting is pretty flat in all the photos, so the subject is not well separated from the background.

That is why pro photographers don't often rely on just the available light, instead exercising more control and artistry by directing light onto the subject to 'pop' the subject from the background.

Favored methods include using a reflector(s) and/or modified, strobed light(s) from a position off the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back