Beginner with OOLD equipment

mondo2891

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! So i'm really new to the photography world and have been wanting to get into it for a while. This weekend I came across my mom's 25 year old Minolta X-370 and my brother's old (but still looking new) Minolta X-570. Sadly my brothers seems to be broken (the mirror does not move like it should) so i've been playing around with the 370 getting used to it. After talking to a friend he said I should look for a forum and see what suggestions you guys may have for me regarding settings for the camera and such. So I also figured that i would take some pictures of what I have so you may get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. My first question is what film should I get? I'm highly interested in b&w, I find it to be the best looking pictures, but since i'm a beginner I figure I'll do what you all say! I'll look around these forums as well, but I was hoping for some more specific instructions regarding my equipment. Thanks guys! i'll see ya around!

100_1093.jpg

100_1095.jpg

100_1096.jpg

100_1097.jpg

100_1100.jpg

I also have a very good looking Minolta flash that my dad and I are currently trying to clean. One of the batteries busted open in it over the years.

Thanks again!

That the end of the manual focus cameras era for Minolta. They moved to Auto Focus at that time. So you're lenses can not be used on anything past those cameras without some serious modifications.

I'm not sure what advise you are asking for. Specifically, how can we help?

Cheers!

For your first go, I'd just go to Walmart, Walgreen's or Kroger, or whatever you have near, and buy one roll of 35mm film. Go out and shoot it up and get it developed. Change lenses, while doing so. Then you can find out that eveything with the camera is working o.k..and be able to check your lenses etc..if the camera you're using hasn't been used for quite a while, you might want to remove the battery, and run down to radioshack and get a new one, so you know you've got a good charged battery. Or, if you have one, you can just use a multi-meter and see what the battery is putting out.

Then come back, search the forums for all the advice you need, and possibly buy a book on film photography, if that is what you are going to be doing.

J.:lmao:

Excellent equipment.
I'm not too terribly familiar with minoltas, so i can't give much advice regarding the camera, but as for film, I'd go with Kodak Tri-X or T-Max 400 speed.
It's very versatile in a lot of lighting conditions and as a beginner you'd probably get the most out of that. It's usually what I use when I shoot 35mm.

The issue now a days with T-max 400 and Tri-X is that there are fewer and fewer places to get them developed. Your two options are:
1) Send them out for development (costs a bit of cash)
2) Develop them yourselves

I agree. jbylake, go somewhere that still develops film and buy a roll. They will have the cheapest prices as well.... good enough for a beginner.

The best way to test if your meter is working properly is to shoot some slide film. When you shoot print film any exposure issues you have will be attempted to be corrected by the lab you send it to so it is hard to figure out the accuracy. Now I have not used film in eons so I am sorry if there is some issue now with slide film that I don't know about.

Who are you calling OLD?!? I started on an X-370....:mrgreen:

Man, this is a fooking depressing thread. You just reminded me of how old I am with this fairly young camera :lmao:

Seriously though, as someone suggested, get yourself a new battery and a slide film at your local photo store and shoot a roll to see if this camera even works at all. TBH it should unless it has been stored badly. Who knows what the problem is with your brother's but don't throw it out. It might be fixable cheaply enough. Just hang on to it for now.

You have a manual so read it. I learned photography by reading the manuals. Yes, true. If the manual is not enough, come back and ask some questions.

When you have shot the film, make sure and ask for a digital copy of the shots on a disk so that if you have problems you can post the photos here and we can try and help you figure it out.

Once you've done this and the camera is working, don't ask us for what you should be shooting. It is up to you and what you feel about photography. Most people fairly new to photography have no understanding of B&W since their approach to it is to turn a color image into B&W. No the best way to look at it.

Shooting B&W, imho, will teach you quite a bit about photography that you would never learn by shooting color from the get-go so don't be afraid of going that way.

The best way to test if your meter is working properly is to shoot some slide film. When you shoot print film any exposure issues you have will be attempted to be corrected by the lab you send it to so it is hard to figure out the accuracy. Now I have not used film in eons so I am sorry if there is some issue now with slide film that I don't know about.

Hmmm... I think the easiest method is to find a friend with a dslr and compare exposure readings.

No real advice as I am a begginner myself but I just got a hand me down Minolta X-370 myself with the same zoom lens you have shown in your picture as well as a 30-70mm zoom. I have shot only 3 rolls of film so far: 1 color and 1 1/2 b&w. I have not had the b/w developed yet but am very excited. Definitely get them processed where you can get the digital CD! Its cheaper to view and manipulate images that way. I will do that until I find a decent photo lab, get the chemicals myself... or become a good enough photographer to spend $ on either haha. Good luck with your minolta!!! Love the shutter sound and film advance lever on this baby. Such a satisfying feeling to shoot with this cam. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back