Beginner's pics from a local arboretum/park

evo5gsr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In commemoration of Earth Day, I decided to get in touch with nature after all these years (but mainly I was just bored). Markham Regional Arboretum in Concord, CA was the name of the place. 'Twas overcast. All the pics are taken with Pentax K100D Super w/ the 35mm f/2 AL; RAW

This pic is kinda soft for my tastes (lol):
IMGP0224a.jpg

Maybe I should crop this one:
IMGP0231.jpg

For the next two pictures, I'm trying to go for the "urban element in a 'secluded' nature" type of thing. Meh.
IMGP0248a.jpg

IMGP0256.jpg

Again, this next one is a little soft:
IMGP0265a.jpg

Meh, I liked the red-barked trees. They created some sort of "anomaly," I suppose.
IMGP0266.jpg

Here's an unfinished part of the park (above pic was from that section) called International Garden:
IMGP0267.jpg

Two main things I learned from this expedition: I need to find more interesting subjects (which was kinda hard to do here), and I need to remember to apply the different DOF effects when shooting (I could've used a shallower DOF with the second pic).

If you're looking for some constructive comments ... I would suggest that you think more about the composition as opposed to taking a "commemorative snapshot." I still do this a lot - take a picture because I like what's in it and want to remember it - but I'm trying now, every time I look through the viewfinder, to think, "Does this look good - does it say something other than a 'word?' Or does it look like a vacation picture?"

Doing that may help you in the future with your composition.

Park bench is nice, might've even looked good centred.

Some close ups of the flowers in 1&2 would've been good.

I think the main problem in all of them is there is too much happening and no definitive subject matter.
Try using depth of field or a plain background (Sky or Grass) to frame and draw attention to the subject.

Good work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back