beginning a darkroom

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Andrea K, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

i am interested in learning how to develop black and white photographs, and i was going to take a class over the summer but the hours simply dont work for me. do you think i could learn to develop them by myself with the help of a book or a video that tells me how to set up a darkroom and illustrates the process or is it necessary to take a class that is hands on?

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks :)

2. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

3. probe1957

probe1957 TPF Noob!

Assuming you are of average or better intelligence, yes.

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can certainly get things going, Andrea, with the help of books/video/TPF. ;) Don't forget we're all here, and you can ask as many darkroom questions as you want, especially in the darkroom forum where the film geeks hang out. :D

In the end, you'll still want to take that class, even if you're set up pretty well at home and have run a few prints. There is no substitute for that hands-on training, plus you'll get critique and feedback from actual prints, not something scanned where you have to factor in different monitor calibrations.

So if you want to get going, then by all means do, but keep an eye out for those class schedules till you get in. Good luck!