Best $500 DSLR

In the electronics world if it's computers, cameras, etc., whatever just was put on the shelf is almost out of date anyway.

This is true ONLY if you are a person who is obsessed with the loosing race of keeping up with the edge of technology... which is fine if that's what keeps you happy. The camera you buy now isn't going to take any less of a photo when the next generation is released. Even the lowest line of DSLRs today have enough megapixels to produce even 14x11 prints and more.

Photographers that bought their DSLRs last year will most likely not be any better off if they replaced them with this year's models. The major exception to the rule are professionals that depend on their equipment to meet the climbing standards of publishers as well as reliability.

I bought my k10d just last year and it is being replaced by the 20d. The 200d seems almost identical to the k10d not sure exactly what the difference is.

THere are a few of differences in the specs. Your K10D has a pentaprism and the K200D has a pentamirror for example. Another is power supply. I think another is weather-sealing. K10D and K20D intended for the professional or prosumer market. The K100D and K200D for consumer.

The comments on the D40 confuse the heck out of me. Everyone always states "don't get the D40 unless you want to limit yourself" or something similar. Yet, no one explains their comments.

I do know about the autofocus thing with the D40. Is this the limitation everyone states? Is there only 2 autofocus lenses that work with the D40? Else, how are you so limited?

Judging by photos posted here at this forum in comparing the D40/D40x to the XT/XTi, I always notice that the photos posted from the Nikon are much sharper and crisper (is that a term?) than those from the Canon. Just my observation being an owner of neither the Nikon or Canon.

I don't have a dSLR, but may get one in the future and I can only judge cameras by the photos I see and recommendations of the forum members here. Unfortunately for me, it seems that all the D40 negativity spurs from the Canon crowd and that points to fanboyism to me.

Judging by photos posted here at this forum in comparing the D40/D40x to the XT/XTi, I always notice that the photos posted from the Nikon are much sharper and crisper (is that a term?) than those from the Canon. Just my observation being an owner of neither the Nikon or Canon.

Actually, Canon makes some very nice machines but Nikon owners are better photographers than Canon owners.

The comments on the D40 confuse the heck out of me. Everyone always states "don't get the D40 unless you want to limit yourself" or something similar. Yet, no one explains their comments.

I do know about the autofocus thing with the D40. Is this the limitation everyone states? Is there only 2 autofocus lenses that work with the D40? Else, how are you so limited?
I think a lot just assume that every potential DSLR buyer is going to be a big time photo hobbyist like they are and is going to want to screw around with (sorry) old style screw driven focus primes and other stuff, when in reality the vast majority don't care and are going to be perfectly happy with a two lens kit, or wouldn't even mind manually focusing with some of the screw driven lenses that won't automatically focus.

I don't feel limited by my D40. It does everything I "need" it to do and it's a great little starter camera. I took yet another batch of cute pictures of my 11 month old daughter tonight. And now that I finally broke down and put a NICE piece of AF-S glass on it, the photos looks so great straight off the camera that I'm not even going to have to bother wasting my time post-processing everything like I was before with my cheaper but still decent stuff. The only reason I'm not going to get rid of my D80 is because when I'm really truly being serious, my hands are just too big to handle the D40 confidently and I end up tripping around on it. My D80 fits my hand like a glove and I'm much more confident handling that than the D40, despite the fact that the 40 does everything I need it to do.

Actually, Canon makes some very nice machines but Nikon owners are better photographers than Canon owners.
Ah! I see! hehehe :D

This is great news, because I lied. I do have a Nikon, but it's an old 3 mp job. Does take fantastic photos though (except for the dead pixels).

I don't have a dSLR, but may get one in the future and I can only judge cameras by the photos I see and recommendations of the forum members here. Unfortunately for me, it seems that all the D40 negativity spurs from the Canon crowd and that points to fanboyism to me.

I am a nikon shooter and am against the D40. There are plenty of lenses to autfocus with the D40 but they are a bit more expensive.

Those who do not mind to manual focus will have no problem but for me, my 50mm is a life saver. I would be lost without the option of my prime lenses.

I am a nikon shooter and am against the D40. There are plenty of lenses to autfocus with the D40 but they are a bit more expensive.

Those who do not mind to manual focus will have no problem but for me, my 50mm is a life saver. I would be lost without the option of my prime lenses.

I can't even count the people who are hacked because they can't AF the 50 1.8 with the D40. Of course, this probably only affects the people that want to autofocus on the 50 1.8 (most users). Mav brings up a valid point that the size of the D40 gets in his way, and usually opts for a bigger Nikon. This is certainly something to consider.

I've seen a d70s go for about $350 a few days ago on ebay, and it looked pretty mint. Basically a d40 with a sturdier chassis and an AF-drive and a few other goodies.

I can't even count the people who are hacked because they can't AF the 50 1.8 with the D40. Of course, this probably only affects the people that want to autofocus on the 50 1.8 (most users). Mav brings up a valid point that the size of the D40 gets in his way, and usually opts for a bigger Nikon. This is certainly something to consider.
But Keith... :mrgreen: "Most people" who actually own D40/D40x's who signed into that big thread were perfectly happy with their cameras, in spite of its limitations. There were only a handful who might have been "hacked" and then ended up buying a different camera. Those few were the ones who actually wanted AF capabilities with a 1.8/50mm on their camera body. The rest (a strong majority) either didn't mind having to manually focus, or didn't care about using that type of lens in the first place. :)

I've seen a d70s go for about $350 a few days ago on ebay, and it looked pretty mint. Basically a d40 with a sturdier chassis and an AF-drive and a few other goodies.
The D70s preceded the D80 and is built more like a D80 and has a lot of the features of the D80 as well It's more advanced than the D40/D50, at least in terms of feature set. It's certainly a great camera to consider if one is willing to consider a used body.

I have a Nikon D40, and it's my first SRL. I knew it was an entry level DSLR when I bought it, and I had done my research, so there were not any surprises. It's been a great camera to learn on, and I am still very happy with it.

The limitations that people mention about this camera:

D40 works only with AS-F lenses: This makes the camera lighter, smaller and cheaper (all good things). There are many auto focus lenses available from Nikon and other companies. I picked up a wide angle lens from Sigma (10-20) and it auto-focuses perfectly. Also, any lenses you buy now will work with your next Nikon camera also.

Comander Flash: The D40 cannot wirelessly trigger remote flashes. You can get around this by buying an SB800 flash which can trigger other flashes, or by using flashes that can be triggered optically (by the built in flash on the D40), or use the wireless hot-shoe adapters.

If you are into HDR photography, you might miss the bracketing feature, but other than that, I think the D40 is a great beginners camera.

Turning the focus ring until the dot appears is far too much work for me.

I think a lot [...] want to screw around with [...] the vast majority [...] of the [...] lenses that won't automatically focus.

I [...] feel limited by my D40. [...] I finally broke down [...] I'm not even going to [...] bother wasting my time [...] with my cheaper [...] D40 [..] I end up tripping around on it.

I paraphrased what you said to make it easier to read...

:lol: just kiddin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back