Best camera brand?

Joanne4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if there is a camera brand that stands out from the other brands. What is the best camera to buy or does it depend on the type of photos that you like to take?

If you're talking 35mm SLR or Digital SLR, then the main brands I would think on would be one of the following:

Pentax
Minolta
Nikon
Canon

Those are the main camera brands that are making the best selling SLRs. If you're talking point & shoot "pocket"-style cameras or strictly digital (SLR or not), then I would also include Olympus in there, they don't do much SLR production these days unless you're talking about their higher-end digitals.

Now, if you want to narrow it down further, you'll find that more and more people will have specific knowledge particularly between Canon and Nikon, simply because those are the two brands that have the pros hooked, therefore their less-pricier models sell better because they've got a much better reputation with the people who make livings out of photography.

To get narrower than that as far as the brands are concerned, it's really just a matter of looking at the features of the cameras and applying those features to what it is you think you'd use them for, and picking out the usefulness of them all for yourself. At this day and age, the name brand glass is not different enough to really justify going one way or the other, specifically if you're talking digital. Back in the days when they would actually have to grind the glass to get it the way they wanted, it was much more pertinent which brand you chose, but now they're using high-quality polymers and plastics which expand the possibilities for all of us, unless you're willing to fork over the big money for either Nikon's D lenses or Canon's L lenses. It's all a matter of what your application is and how much money you're willing to put into it. Just as with anything else anymore.

It all depends on what you are doing. For me the best brands are Speed Graphic and Rollei.

Astro said:
For very accurate color and great overall image quality I would recommend Nikon.

Vs. Canon? See, that's where we get into the whole Ford vs Chevy debate. With the way technology is these days, there's not enough of a difference in image quality to one over the other. Use your best judgement based on features, not the testimonials of others.

Astro said:
For very accurate color and great overall image quality I would recommend Nikon.

For the very best image quality I'd recommend medium or large format. Nikon doesn't go there.

The Nikon vs Canon debate gets very silly once you break out of their little marketing box (35mm SLRs, DSLRs, and point-n-shoots), and realize that they are 99% the same as each other when compared to the many other kinds/designs of cameras out there.

EDIT: Actually, I guess Nikon does make large format lenses, but they don't make any medium or large format camera bodies. :)

Cannon, I mean...you can see from the name...Cannon, they have powerfull, sturdy cameras that will take the picture by the balls (sorry bout that) where as Nikon is a dainty little thing that will ask for permission to take the photo, then will quietly and out of the way :p

hehe, naw theres no way of telling, but I vote Cannon anyways...unless you talking about Nikon D70, thats one of Nikons...Cannon like cameras, and the D70 is def a better cam...not better than the Cannon 350D though!

oriecat said:
except that the name is Canon, artie! They didn't even have the balls to use a second N. :p :wink:

Whoops :( Im always doin that.

Im sure...we can deduce...that...its because the name has already got such a kick, that an extra N would just make people faint...cause...it would beat a sharp kick in the face...

Maybe this will sound stupid, I know, but I would use another criteria (which are the ones I actually use): not the quality of the cameras, but how do you feel them in your hands. I mean, suppose you find a say Nikon that has excellent reviews and seems to be a top quality body and lens, but when you look at it, when you grab it, you don't feel comfortable: weird mechanisms, difficult to operate functions, etc. Then, what use could you really do of that marvel? And now you find a humble and discrete camera that you feel like an extension of your eyes and fingers....

See what I mean? After all, what really matter is the finger that shots. And, as most people say: first, nowadays it would be very difficult to compare (I would really like to see most of the "only Nikons, please!" trying to figure aout what cameras made what pictures in a random selection :lol: ) -see previous posts. Second, it's just a matter of very personal opinions, and, most of all, particular models, not brands in general.

Well, I'm only speaking about SLR film models. By the way, I have Nikon, Canon and Minolta and am happy with the three of them :confused:

Most reactions

Back