Best Camera for Beginner

gina5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've always been fascinated with photography and pictures but I've only ever been able to take pictures on my iphone lmao... I've finally saved up for a camera but I honestly know nothing about photography but I want to learn a lot and eventually take it very seriously. What is a good camera for me to start off with in the $500-$600 range? I mostly am interested in taking pics of nature and people, and a camera that could work with motion would be ideal, what i mean is like photographing something that is moving quickly. I also would wanna take pics with cool light effects like manipulating lighting and taking pics with colored lights, like at concerts and stuff. I'm sorry i don't know any official terminology lmao but if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know. thanks

Edit: I also would like to be able to take detailed pictures from a very close range. Basically I would like a camera / lenses that would be able to be versatile and take most types of pictures since I am just starting off and want to experiment with everything.

Last edited:
Do you need to buy new or are you happy to buy second hand?

I think you should buy Nikon D3xxx or D5xxx / Canon 1xxxD or xxxD DSLR and invest rest on lens.
You will need some cool lens to get thise cool effect - 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8(Costly though).
My suggestion,
Experts are coming...wait.

So I've always been fascinated with photography and pictures but I've only ever been able to take pictures on my iphone lmao... I've finally saved up for a camera but I honestly know nothing about photography but I want to learn a lot and eventually take it very seriously. What is a good camera for me to start off with in the $500-$600 range? I mostly am interested in taking pics of nature and people, and a camera that could work with motion would be ideal, what i mean is like photographing something that is moving quickly. I also would wanna take pics with cool light effects like manipulating lighting and taking pics with colored lights, like at concerts and stuff. I'm sorry i don't know any official terminology lmao but if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know. thanks

The only requirement is that the camera have the ability to set focus and exposure manually. You aren't likely to use those capabilities all that often but they are necessary for learning the basics of photography. An additional capability would be the ability to interchange lenses because there are optical lessons to learn from that.

Virtually any DSLR or IL mirrorless will be fine. Your budget will provide a more than adequate choice. I don't recommend anything specific because it doesn't matter. Choose something that appeals to you.

This is a very good recommendation. And a good price for what you are getting! The link he posted you have to chose the 2 lens kit from the Nikon site. But $600 for that body, and 2 lenses is as close to what the OP wants for their price range.

Nikon D3400 or Nikon D3300

I will say that if you are happy to go second hand and could pick up a nikon d700 and possibly a 28-105mm f4-5.6 lens it would be also a good buy. The d700 should focus better and generally be better in low light

I disagree. From what you say, you have a lot to experience. It would be best to start with a high quality point-and-shoot camera. I think that in your price range you can get something with around a 20x zoom lens and good auto focus and maybe a bit of adjustability. Such cameras can take really good pictures and it will give you a chance to see what you need later. By that time you'll know much better what you want. But you will likely still use cameras like this. I still do when it is appropriate.

If there’s no downside to buying second hand then I’m fine with it. Like if all the equipment will still work the same.

If there’s no downside to buying second hand then I’m fine with it. Like if all the equipment will still work the same.

You should be able to get a substantially better setup for your money second hand. You just need to know what you are buying and/or use a reputable seller

D3300 OR D3400 OR D5500.

All fantastic beginners options. Just go ahead and check out the prices you can get for them.
The kit lens is good. Don't fall victim to the consumer side of things about finding the "best" lens. There are always compromises. Rounded out and for the exceptional price, the 18-55 kit lens will be a great workhorse for you. In addition I would buy a Nikkor 35mm prime f/1.8g to help you on the low light side. It's also one of the best lenses nikon has ever made and is very budget friendly.

Best of luck. Photography is an amazing outlet for expression and creativity. Have fun with it and don't overthink it.

Adorama have a lot of Nikon d300s from about 250 to 400 dollars. If you bought something like this with an 18-105mm lens second hand and threw in a Nikon 35mm dx f1.8, you may just manage on your budget.

Ultimately, the camera is a little older with 12mp and not quite as good in low light as newer 24mp models, but it has an amazing focus system, is tough, reliable and fast. The little hit in image quality would be made up for in performance in my opinion.

If you could stretch to a second hand d7200 and same lenses you'd be onto a winner

I lean towards the Nikon D5300 refurbished or a new Sony a6000. For $600 you can get either with a kit lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: I also would like to be able to take detailed pictures from a very close range. Basically I would like a camera / lenses that would be able to be versatile and take most types of pictures since I am just starting off and want to experiment with everything.
Given your intended range of photography, I think you'll want a digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) and at least one lens. You can add more lenses later as you can afford them. With your budget (no offense) you probably should consider a used DSLR, possibly one that is slightly outdated, but hopefully one that is in very good condition.

There may always be some risk, however you can greatly minimize the risk by purchasing from a reputable dealer. We on this forum have recommended Adorama, B&H, KEH, Used Camera Pro, and others that offer returns and warranties. Plus, their grading standards are reliable. Additionally, if you know what you're looking for, and are willing to trust some lesser-known sellers, there's always E-Bay. I've purchased lots of stuff from E-bay sellers, including nearly all of my lenses and flashes.

Most reactions

Back