Best Camera for Beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gina5, Oct 15, 2017.

1. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Adorama have a lot of Nikon d300s from about 250 to 400 dollars. If you bought something like this with an 18-105mm lens second hand and threw in a Nikon 35mm dx f1.8, you may just manage on your budget.

Ultimately, the camera is a little older with 12mp and not quite as good in low light as newer 24mp models, but it has an amazing focus system, is tough, reliable and fast. The little hit in image quality would be made up for in performance in my opinion.

If you could stretch to a second hand d7200 and same lenses you'd be onto a winner

2. jccash

jccash TPF Noob!

I lean towards the Nikon D5300 refurbished or a new Sony a6000. For $600 you can get either with a kit lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Given your intended range of photography, I think you'll want a digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) and at least one lens. You can add more lenses later as you can afford them. With your budget (no offense) you probably should consider a used DSLR, possibly one that is slightly outdated, but hopefully one that is in very good condition.

There may always be some risk, however you can greatly minimize the risk by purchasing from a reputable dealer. We on this forum have recommended Adorama, B&H, KEH, Used Camera Pro, and others that offer returns and warranties. Plus, their grading standards are reliable. Additionally, if you know what you're looking for, and are willing to trust some lesser-known sellers, there's always E-Bay. I've purchased lots of stuff from E-bay sellers, including nearly all of my lenses and flashes.

4. ceemac

ceemac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not familiar with Nikon so I might be saying the same thing. Buy more camera than you think you need and learn you way into it. Fully manual incl ISO. Live view for awkward camera positions. Able to shoot RAW. Continuous shooting, exposure bracketing, WB selections, metering options are all things I'm learning about. I'd never heard of a histogram before ( I should use it more ). The ability to do HDR is great. Digital is so much different than film.
    I bought a Canon T5i with 18-55 kit lens for about 800 can. It will be a while before I need more camera.

5. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

All I've used prior to my Nikon Coolpix P60 point and shoot was 35mm SLR.
    My budget is a mere pittance compared to $600. I hope for a 10mp Canon 40D body but will probably have a 20D in the end.
    Get the newest camera you can afford.
    Back when I got my EOS650 it was a revelation! AF and full program or manual control. But then film processing at drug stores went away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. jccash

jccash TPF Noob!

For $600 I lean towards the Nikon D530 or Sony a6000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Given that you haven't listed a type of photographer that will push the capabilities of the gear to a limit... ANY entry-level DSLR camera (from any brand) will work.

But this wont get you better photos than what you can take with your iPhone.

To do that... you're going to need to invest some time to learn a bit more about photography (it isn't really about the gear). Otherwise your iPhone will probably be the better camera.

If you just buy a DSLR and use the "auto" mode ... you'll probably end up with photos which are roughly on par with what your iPhone does. Getting better images requires understanding a little bit about how things like aperture and shutter speed will change things like blur (deliberate blur) in an image. But also, different lenses will have a big impact (if they are the right lenses for the job.) Part of the point of having a camera will one lens can be removed and replaced with another is precisely because no single lens is "best" -- it really depends on what you're trying to do. Some lenses are fantastic for landscapes... but lousy for portraits.

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!”
    -- Ansel Adams

The camera is a tool ... but it doesn't just magically create better looking images (no more than a hammer creates better houses) -- it's all about whether the person using the tool knows how to use it.

If you want to improve on your photography (above what you can do with an iPhone) then pick up a good book to get started.

A non-intimidating (good for beginners) book suggestion might be either the Scott Kelby "Digital Photography" series of books... or the Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" book. (There are many others, but these are good starting points.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    yes, Canon will have better "IQ" image quality and a larger and cheaper selection of lenses but also consider mirrorless - mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter but can easily use all the DSLR lens ..... very nice !

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

9. gina5

gina5 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes I agree. I was planning on doing my research and was actually going to pick up a book, so thanks for the suggestions.

10. Shutterdog

Shutterdog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there a reason you guys recommend the D3400 and D3300 but not the d3200?

I tought the D3300 and d3200 were close to the same.

Besides AF-P not being compatible with d3200, is there another downside?

11. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

The D3200 is a capable camera. I think they are leaving it out since its no longer available new or refurbished.

• Like Like x 1
  12. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Exactly