Best DSLR for noob?

Don't forget that while Pentax may not have a HUGE portion of aftermarket support, the lens mount will support any 35mm SLR lens made for the Pentax system. That's a LONG history of glass to choose from, and it's typically available at bargain prices since most people are searching for Canon and Nikon lenses. That's one of the reasons I love my Minoltas so much. Tons of glass available for very reasonable prices. Well, that and probably some of the best ergonomics in the photographic industry.

For all the talk I see of Canon and Nikon offering more, when you actually check the facts...

# of lenses and teleconverters currently manufactured by Canon, Nikon, and Pentax

Canon = 65
Nikon = 57
Pentax = 58 (not counting the 6x4.5 and 6x7 lenses, which Pentax makes adapters for so they will fit on their 35mm SLRs and DSLRs)

It is true that the third party manufacturers will always offer a Nikon and Canon mount, and sometimes don't offer a Pentax mount, but if you really need more than a selection of 50 lenses or so, maybe you should be looking outside the 35mm SLR/DSLR box anyway.

Just out of Curiosity did you include these three lenses in your Canon Count? :lol:

canonlineif2.jpg

I recently bought a DSLR, with guidance from some great people here, and my biggest advice is to take your time. It was really exciting buying a new camera, but it took me at least a month to make my decision... from first of all deciding to make the financial commitment properly, then doing my own research, trying some out and getting a feel for them, and then once I had narrowed it down and almost made my decision, coming on here and getting the opinions from people who had used those cameras before just to be certain I was making the right choice for me and that there wouldn't be any unpleasant surprises when I finally bought the camera home. It's a long process, and even if the wait was agonising, it was well worth it. At the end of the day, DSLRs are a big investment and you want to be sure you're making the right choice.

Most reactions

Back