Best lens for everyday shooting with a D300

...........Yes, I was being facetious I don't believe in all in one lenses, and you change lenses based on what your shooting, so my favorite all time lens depends on what I'm shooting. There is nothing for everything.

I dunno... I kinda like my 5-1000mm f/1.4 pancake.

Is that VR1 or VR2 :)

Not to be rude but if you shoot weddings. You should have enough knowledge about which lens you would need and like to have.

Anyone with a big watermark and "suchandsuch photography" FB page can shoot weddings. Whats a skillset, knowledge or having equipment got to do with anything
lol8.gif

Right now my favorite walk around lens on my D7000 is a Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6. The range and speed is the same as a 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 for FX. It has VR II with normal and active mode. I have hand held 1/8th with no problem. It is also small and compact with 1st rate fit and finish. The mount is metal with a mount gasket and metal barrels.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr...F-S-DX-NIKKOR-16-85mm-f%2F3.5-5.6G-ED-VR.html

Does anyone have any personal knowledge, recommendations, or particular concerns regarding WA lenses?

Does anyone have any personal knowledge, recommendations, or particular concerns regarding WA lenses?

I really like my Nikkor 10-24. I picked up a Tamron 17-35 for shooting wide on my D600 until I can afford a couple of sharp primes.

As you will see and I agree with the others, it all depends on what you like, who you are, your budget and what you want to shoot
If I go with my experience I own:

A tamron 24-70, I like it because it is very sharp, and has a vibration reduction, which I am very happy about, the downside is that its bokeh is not as nice as I would like, but since I want to do portrait and landscape with that lens it does not bother me too much

I have the Nikon 7-200 VR II which is a fabulous lens, I do not use it as often as my tamron, but when summer comes, I know I will , so far I love the results I get with this lens, but it is heavy and I know it will not be my all around lens. The bokeh is really nice, it is tack sharp and fast.

I have a 60 mm macro lens, that I use for portraits and macro, it has been my best friend for several years already. I was thinking of getting a 105 mm macro lens, but cannot part with my 60mm, I love it too much.

I have an 18-200 lens that I found fantastic on travels, but when I am at home, I don't use it anymore, because the quality is not as good as my other lens.

That is just my 2 cents.

Well I guess I was wrong to post here.. sorry I asked a damn thing.

Seriously, I know that there is not one lens for everything and I surely know not to shoot in auto, and yes I understand the triangle too.

Maybe I worded my question the wrong way, but there is no reason to be like that.

Ever get to the point where to do to much reading and research where you get more confused then when you started.. thats where I am at the moment and I turned here for help, not to be made fun of or to be rude too.

actually, the responses you have gotten have been pretty tame in comparison to responses of the past.
in your post, you claim to already shoot pretty much everything...weddings, landscapes, portraits, events..etc etc. you
say you dont shoot in auto and understand the exposure triangle, but in same post say you don't even know what focal range your wide angle lens is...and THAT'S the lens you want to replace. how is anyone going to suggest a replacement when you don't even know what you currently own?

the forums thinking is this....if you are already shooting weddings, landscapes, portraits, events, and all that other stuff, and you understand your camera and the exposure triangle, then you really should know what focal lengths you need. you might ask about peoples opinions on brands, IS -vs- non IS, or maybe even the difference a few MM's might make between a 12-24 -vs- 10-20, but you should already have a pretty good handle on your needs as a photographer.

I suggest that the best way to get your answer is to find out WHICH wide angle lens you own so people here will have an idea of what you are looking to replace. also, knowing what your current wide angle isnt doing that you need it to do would also help.
just a thought.

My everyday lens was the Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

That lens also has a 1:2 Macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm that often came in handy.

Any superzoom lens (10x+ zoom range) has to be designed around so many image quality issues that they are all jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.
But, lots of people value the convenience over the image quality issues, and superzoom lenses are good sellers.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back