best mode to shoot in?

Best for what? At one time or another, each mode is best.

Most of the time, I shoot in Program, and keep an eye on what settings the camera is choosing. If I want more control, I'll usually shoot in aperture priority.

But I also have days where I just want to do snapshooting, and put it on scene-specific modes.

One mode I NEVER use is auto.

The one that gets you the shot.

Between keeping the aperture in it's sweet spot and controlling the depth of field, I use aperture priority most of the time and full manual when I want to override the camera.

The one that gets you the shot.

^^ This one!

Auto - program - aperture prority - shutter priority - full manual

They are all very valid modes to use on the camera and its important to remember that f2.8 1/200sec ISO 100 will get you the same shot in auto mode as those same settings will in full manual.

No one mode gives "better pictures" than the other.

However the key is to understand aperture, ISO and shutter speed - how they interact with each other to give you an exposure and also what kind of exposure you want to capture. Not every shot has a "perfect" exposure as the meter reads and infact sometimes the meter is totally wrong and gives daft results (try shooting the moon for example - mostly any metering mode bar spot is likley to make a mistake)

I strongly recomend the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - that will give you a good grounding in the three key settings - how use them - how they affect your shot and also how to manipulate them to be creative with exposures (eg blurring moving water).

After you have the understanding picking the right mode depends on the situtation - aperture priority is one of the most popular modes for many and I certainly find it the easist to understand and use well. However all my macro work is done in manual mode - where I have flash dominant lighting and specific settings I want to use that the auto modes would never give me alone. So manual is the only way to get those settings.

Heck I know pros who shoot in full manual when they just want to take a shot or might not know the settings they specifically want to use.

Last edited:
About 80% of the time I'm in Av mode.

For moving subjects, I use the Tv mode.

Get used to those and then you can play with M mode.

Come on now lets try to remain helpfull and not condesending.

We all start somewhere and no one starts knowing it all

on a xsi cannon rebel?

For someone like yourself I want to recommend something for you Let me google that for you

Maybe some reading will definitely help you out.

I am seeing this answer more and more on here. The reason I found this site is because I did a google search for a specific question and it brought me here. This is the beginner section of the forum so you are going to get beginner questions, if this is the best answer you can give then just move on to the next question.

I am seeing this answer more and more on here. The reason I found this site is because I did a google search for a specific question and it brought me here. This is the beginner section of the forum so you are going to get beginner questions, if this is the best answer you can give then just move on to the next question.

This is the beginner part of the forum, and the question has been answered. People have given their particular preference, and also explained their choices a bit..

That being said, the information provided (camera type) is really useless (pretty much all DSLR's have the same modes) What is more important is what is your focus, and in what situations you're using your camera.

Best for what? At one time or another, each mode is best.

Most of the time, I shoot in Program, and keep an eye on what settings the camera is choosing. If I want more control, I'll usually shoot in aperture priority.

But I also have days where I just want to do snapshooting, and put it on scene-specific modes.

One mode I NEVER use is auto.
This is exactly the modes i use :D

Programe or Aperture. and accasionaly shooting sunsets i will use the "sunset" mode.
I never use auto mode either :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back