Best prime for Basketball? 28mm or 50mm?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by flameshots, Feb 3, 2010.

1. flameshots

flameshots No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have decided to move up to a prime and really want to use the low light ability to take shots of my son's basketball games. (the light in most of the gyms he plays at is horrible, even with a speedlight.)

I'm thinking a 28 will not be close enough. I prefer to take shots of my son's basketball games from just behind the goal but I think I will still need 50mm.
    Anyone have experience with either or would a zoom still be better. ( I don't think I can afford a 2.8 zoom.) Thank you for the help.

2. Hooker771

Hooker771 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    100mm 2.8 is my favorite lens I own. May be good for your needs. I have the tokina and love it.

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you planning to get the 50mm, maybe think about the F/1.4 to take advantage of the faster AF with USM.

4. Alphaem

Alphaem TPF Noob!

If you are shooting from behind the basket then a 50mm as fast as you can afford will be a great lens because all you have to do is wait for them to come to you and the 50mm fills the frame pretty good from under the basket.

I would also test shooting manual mode with your speedlight so that you can shoot at the fastest shutter speed that your camera will allow with flash. Once you know what your exposure is you can maintain that exposure and the faster shutter speed will keep your images from ghosting.

Experiment with ISO also till you get the exposure desired whether you want the background dark or light, in focus or out of focus. You will see that once you find the right exposure it will be close to the same in most gyms.

5. Dao

Just wondering ... do they allow flash in the area behind the basket?

6. flameshots

Photos OK to edit
    At my son's age, yes. They are only in third grade. As they get a little older they will probably have an issue with it. The good news is, as they get older the gyms he will play in will get better also. (Better lighting ect.) When I use a flash I usually bounce off of the ceiling to avoid direct eye contact. So far it hasn't been a problem.

One other option may be a Tamron 17-50 2.8. This lens would be better than the one I have but would not be a big prime that I could use for other things.

Thanks for all the input keep it coming. What do you think about the Tamron? It says it's not compatible with full size sensors but I don't see myself buying a camera with one anytime soon. Thanks for the help again.

Marc.

7. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you using a crop-sensor body?

My favorite kids' basketball lens is my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8. I think the 28 would be too wide a lot of the time. I frequently use it between 50 and 75mm.

8. flameshots

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, its an older Canon Rebel XT. I'm not sure of the crop but I think it's 1.6? Someone with more knowledge than me can probably answer that one. I would love to have a new body but I think with the $350. I have right now it is better spent on glass.

9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, it's a 1.6 crop (as is mine). I only asked, because I wanted to compare to my experience. On my 1.6 crop, I would not be happy with a 28mm prime for basketball. There will be times where you will wish you had something longer than 50mm, but you can do quite a bit with the 50.

10. AliasPros

AliasPros TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No flash at the boys and girls club, I use a 70-200mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4 USM and 100mm f2.0 USM. Very good shots with these 3 lenses on a full frame 5D mkII

11. flameshots

Photos OK to edit
    What about a 50mm 1.8 macro? Sounds like the best for everything. Macro, basketball, portraits? Also is within my price range. Thanks again for the input.

Marc.

12. Dao

I do not think Canon made a 50mm F/1.8 macro lens. The do have a F/2.5 1:2 macro. But the lens is a non-USM lens.