Best Sources for Used Photographic Equipment

I have purchased used and/or refurbished equipment from Cameta, Adorama, B&H, Keh and direct from Nikon outlet.

Yesterday, I received my first used gear, a Canon battery grip BG-E6, from KEH. They said it was in Excellent condition and it came in like new, minus the instruction sheet and anything else that might have originally been in the box at a good price. I am happy with this.

I ordered some stuff from Adorama and as of now they have been a tragically horrible experience that has me out $702.25. They cancelled my order from their verification department because I used a PayPal prepaid card (which I do routinely to limit my exposure to internet theft) and claimed that the order was cancelled because 1) I had not lived at my current address for long and 2) that the prepaid card could not be verified with the bank. They stripped $702.25 off the card and it is proving impossible to get it back. I have gone from simply surprised and bewildered to outright angry and on the edge of litigation. Every time I call to talk to somebody at Adorama, I get one more run-around. Their staff, all of them, appear to be incompetents or worse, criminals. They suggested that I was a perpetrator of a fraudulent order and instead, they come out stinking like criminals. I will never shop Adorama again. I am not going to be out $702.25.

Beware of Adorama.

I’ve had many dealings with Adorama’s used dept and they have always been great. Frank has been particularly helpful. They’re a well respected company and would not risk their reputation over $700. Sounds to me like you’re caught up in PayPal processes.

For the record, the safest way to buy anything online is with a major credit card. You can easily dispute any false charges. Most have some type of extended warranty protection and some even have price protection.

Curious why you didn’t just state your problem in your original post instead of asking others for their opinions if you had already had experience with several companies.

Excuse me. I said that Paypal told me that Adorama has to send them notice that the pending charges are released. Further, Adorama has at least acknowledged this much. They told me that this would definitely be done by yesterday. Thursday has come and gone and once more, I get the runaround.

You can't stick up for Adorama. They created this mess and have made it worse.

I just ordered $700 worth of stuff from Adorama. They even sent emails as soon as the package was shipped and even delivered. A+ company. Buy with confidence. Their store in NYC is fun too.

Just searched my email, I've been buying stuff from them since 2009. Including my used 58mm 1.4

Last edited:
I've also ordered a number of things from Adorama as well as B&H, and have never had a problem with either one. In one case, an item was backordered so I cancelled; Adorama gave me an additional store credit "for my inconvenience."

Curious why you didn’t just state your problem in your original post instead of asking others for their opinions if you had already had experience with several companies.

The post was for opinions about sources for used gear and I had no intentions about extolling the Adorama problem. But after talking with them this morning and getting tossed around from verification to customer service and back again, could not hold back my frustrations.

I have to even wait 1-8 days, when my regular CC has fraud charges on it, for them to post in order to even make a legitimate fraud claim. Wait for the authorization to expire.

I've also ordered a number of things from Adorama and never had a problem. They were actually quite good, fast shipping, great packing.

Another happy Adorama customer here.

Credit card security on the internet is always iffy, and I get that. But I've yet to personally pay for a fraudulent transaction, and American Express has even overnighted me a new card for free when I needed to travel the next day. It seems to me that by trying to reduce your risk you've actually increased it, and it's causing you a larger headache than a fraudulent transaction would.

I go to a local shop but they also do a lot of work on eBay. They're called Bromfield Camera, they've been in operation here in Boston for years.

Many of us have had excellent service at Adorama. The main difference seems to be the fact that you used a prepaid credit card. Most of us just link our credit card to PayPal and go with that. It seems to work o.k.

I don't even think PayPal needs to be in the equation when buying from a reputable company.

Thought of this thread yesterday when ordering something from Adorama. When I went to pay, the PayPal option popped up and I was going to use it since it would save me from typing in my cc number but then I thought of this mess. Anyway, used my cc directly to avoid any 3rd party involvement. It is frustrating when you're dealing with a 3rd party and parties 2 and 3 point the finger at each other leaving you as an unhappy customer. I've run into that with Expedia and now I no longer use them.

But - I have to say, I ordered the lens (new not used) yesterday late afternoon - just before 4pm and it's here already. Free overnight shipping for the holidays and it came with a $50 Adorama gift card. You really can't beat that! Now to find something that I need/want that is only $50...

Another happy Adorama customer here.

Credit card security on the internet is always iffy, and I get that. But I've yet to personally pay for a fraudulent transaction, and American Express has even overnighted me a new card for free when I needed to travel the next day. It seems to me that by trying to reduce your risk you've actually increased it, and it's causing you a larger headache than a fraudulent transaction would.

+5
I've also bought from Adorama - good service and low prices
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back