beyond exposure.....

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Tennessee Landscape, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Tennessee Landscape

Tennessee Landscape TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, I've had my camera for a bit now, and I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how to get good exposure, not perfect..or not that I even get it good sometimes....but, I understand the balance between ISO, shutter, and f/stop. I've been poking around google and notreally getting the results I'm looking for, but I know I can still take better pictures.

So in my Nikon menu, I have an Optimize Image setting. I have fooled around with some of the presets, vivid, more vivd, B&W and such, but I would like to get into the custom, I just don't understand what the settings do.....so I'm enlisting your help. I you don't mind what some of these terms mean to the young photographer.....(young by time in photography)......these are all under my custom settings for Optimize image

image sharpening

tone compensation

color mode

saturation

hue adjustment

If you could even go so far as to give me an example ( if possible ) that would be quite awsome...

I know I could just change all the settings and see what happens, but I would like a bit of background understanding.

2. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think your better off leaving all that stuff alone and making those adjustments in ps.

3. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You took the words out of my mouth. Shoot in RAW. That is a format where there is no in-camera processing. RAW will give you maximum flexibility and manipulation ... it also is one additional step.

Most photogs would rather have the image processing handled by a "real" computer than the tiny chip(s) in the camera.

Gary

4. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would recommend start shooting in RAW (.NEF), and you can make all these adjustements yourself on a per-image basis (those image optimizartion settings don't apply to RAW photos). You start with a basic image and you can apply all those settings yourself in post, that way you can see what all those adjustements do. Often times, you'll shoot in a multitude of lighting conditions for each batch of photos you take, so one hue setting or tone setting might not fit the bill for all your images. Over time, you'll start to understand what each of those do simply from doing the adjustements while your editing your pictures (you get to see what a hue or saturation adjustment does to an image in real-time, it's a much faster learning curve). At that point, you can do them in camera to save time, but the only time that should become all that important is if your shooting professionally and you are processing thousands of images per week (and for some people, per day).

I just highly suggest you make the change from jpeg to RAW. I learned a whole lot about your mentioned settings after a few memory cards full.

5. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    X100!!

6. Tennessee Landscape

Photos NOT OK to edit
    are RAW images really huge files? I tought I heard they were like 10 MB or something...

7. Tennessee Landscape

Photos NOT OK to edit

What's that?

8. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, yes they can get quite large... my border on 14 megs. But the ability to tweak the files are well worth it... not to mention that memory isn't all that expensive.

9. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It means I agree 100 times. You see it a lot when people agree, but usually they will say x1 or +1.

10. Tennessee Landscape

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, okay.....stupid question.....:confused:

11. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No biggy, its how we learn! :)

12. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    They are roughly 2 times the size of jpegs, give or take. When you start to realize the value of RAW photos, you never shoot jpeg again. I'd highly recommend just getting another memory card, they are getting dirt cheap. I need to get an external HD, the one on my laptop has like 2 gigs left and my ipod is seconding as a HD, lol.