Beyond the Camera

jor133d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello-

I was wondering if anybody has tips or tricks they use to make a subject(s) feel comfortable when it comes to taking portraits (senior, engagement whatever)?

After taking some courses and reading books, I feel like I only am learning half of what makes a good photo (when it comes to portraits). If the subject feels uncomfortable, the photos will not come out as nice. Any suggestions??

Thanks

though I don't know anything about photography save for the basics of the way light works from studying physics, I think the answer I would give someone about getting better at the martial arts or at computer programming probably apply here as well...and that is, just go out and do portraits. It's unlikely that you're going to be able to get great quality with every shot or even most when you first start out, so the best way to improve yourself is through experience.

All the best portrait guys I know are great talkers, they know what they want and how to get it quickly and efficiently, everything they do is linked to what they are saying.
Formal portraits should be easier than street, because to a certain extent the subject is aware they are there to be photographed, and the photographer has essential preperation time.
I think other than shooting more portraits and reading about them, the best way to really get a handle on the methods would be to watch a pro, maybe assist in some wedding shoots, listen to what they say and their body language during the shoot.

Most reactions

Back