bike show event

mindyf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all I am setting up a booth this weekend. This was my practice shoot. please give me any USEFUL tips and suggestions. thanks! :mrgreen:

practice1.jpg

practice2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok 22 views and no comments! Is that good or bad?

Not bad, but they could use some work.

It seems that the background is a but too bright, it appears to be blown out...or at least the histogram is piled up on the right side. This is probably caused a loss of contrast in some parts of the bike...like the mirrors and handlebar etc.

The reflection of the lights are causing highlights all over the bike...but that's almost impossible to avoid on something like this.

I'd like to see it with more fill light. The dark parts of the bike that aren't being lit by the overhead lights, are too dark and seem to be loosing detail.

There seems to be a bit of a blue/cool color cast, the 2nd one more than the first. I'm not on a calibrated monitor right now though.

I guess that if you are setting up a booth to do a lot of bikes in succession...then there will have to be compromises. You could probably spend all day trying to perfect the lighting for just one shot...but that's not going to be practical is it?

Not bad, but they could use some work.

It seems that the background is a but too bright, it appears to be blown out...or at least the histogram is piled up on the right side. This is probably caused a loss of contrast in some parts of the bike...like the mirrors and handlebar etc.

The reflection of the lights are causing highlights all over the bike...but that's almost impossible to avoid on something like this.

I'd like to see it with more fill light. The dark parts of the bike that aren't being lit by the overhead lights, are too dark and seem to be loosing detail.

There seems to be a bit of a blue/cool color cast, the 2nd one more than the first. I'm not on a calibrated monitor right now though.

I guess that if you are setting up a booth to do a lot of bikes in succession...then there will have to be compromises. You could probably spend all day trying to perfect the lighting for just one shot...but that's not going to be practical is it?

Thank you for the feedback. Yes you are right we didn't have any overhead lights besides the flourecent ones in the garage. We are getting more lights to have overhead today. Also bumped up the exposure quite a bit in these shots. We are using a sheet for the background and it wasn't wrinkle free. It will be though. So hopefully we wont have to make the pictures so bright. I am on a laptop so my monitor is not calibrated either that is why I wanted feedback.

To be honest, they're boring, and also look pretty soft. Were these taken with a point and shoot or a DSLR? These don't look like the kind of quality that I think justifies calling yourself professional or charging people for. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but this is the professional gallery and you asked. Both pictures look partially clipped out, but the job was finished. There are still 101 shadows of various colors under the bike, and you can still see the kickstand. Besides, shooting bikes/riders on a white background just doesn't make any sense to me. What is the practical purpose of these shots. I can't imagine any bikers wanting their hogs shot on a boring white background. They want them somewhere exciting, somewhere scenic, or somewhere meaningful to them. Also, when a rider is involved, don't overlook the importance of the rider's outfit. It is just as much an important part of the picture as anything else.

I immediately saw a dark face and shiny forehead.

Plain white background looks VERY artificial - - like some kind of catalog shoot for just the bike.

Needs to be humanized/contextualized. Make sure the person looks good, on the bike.

Ok good feedback, few comments to defend myself, this was just the practice run, so my dad wasn't dressed for the event (it's not until sunday) I have grown up with bikers my entire life and I know they have plenty of snapshots of themselves on their bikes. Almost none I know of ever get professional shots taken. So I was thinking I could set up at this event with a professional setup (all white background) yes I know the lighting needs some work that is what the practice was for. I think having the all white gives more attention to the rider and the bike without anything to compete with for the background. Also I figure this is a good way to get our name out there and give out cards so that people can hire us for other kind of shots they might want to take.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back