birds

spiralout462

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
finch perch.jpg

I really don't know what this gull is eating. There are no shrimp around that I am aware of. They do have a knack for finding plenty to eat!
gull and prey (1 of 1).jpg

It's so funny how these woodpeckers "hop" up and down the trees! They really go to town on the hardwoods!
downey woodpecker by shotwellbrian, on Flickr

I really like your Downey Woodpecker shot. It shows much better on Flickr.
Here in the forum it's so big, I have to scroll to find the subject.

I think your Downy Woodpecker might be a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.It's a nice capture. looks like the gull has some kind of crayfish. Also a nice shot.

Yes a Male yellow bellied sapsucker. Both males and females have the red forehead but males also have a red throat. Nice capture.

Just some suggestions.
#3 Has a lot of dead space around the bird and could use tighter cropping but not at the expense of damaging the IQ.So If you can't with out making things looking screwed up then best left alone.
#1 composition,Generally you want more space in front of the bird but depending the birds face positioning.
All in all, you did a good job capturing some flighty birds.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the tips and the positive bird ID! I know there is too much space around the Sapsucker. I have versions with a tighter crop but I am trying to maintain the "vertical feel" of the image.

what is the bird in the first shot? I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet. The Sapsucker is a fantastic shot and I love the 'Vertical Feel' that you have created. The detail in the tree bark is great.

The first one is a tufted titmouse.

My goodness - stunning images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back