Flying squirrel in CT!

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well at the least the remains of a squirrel flying through the air... :) Thanks for looking, comments welcome..

1 D800 Tamron 150-600.. I knew what was going to happen next...
George and squirrel 2_24 2 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

2 Pulled the D7000 and Tamron 70-200 VC up from the left side and caught as much of the sequence as I could...
George and squirrel 2_24 4 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

George and squirrel 2_24 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

George and squirrel 2_24 3 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

NSFSL !!!!!

Not Safe for Squirrel Lovers :801:

Looks like Mr. Squirrel got his neck stretched about 6"! Great sequence.
NSFSL !!!!!
Not Safe for Squirrel Lovers :801:
I think you pretty much nailed it wth that comment!
Thank you everyone! I was pretty pumped when I got this sequence. I've been trying to get the head on shot of George with something for awhile. He seems to be making out very well considering how horrible this winter has been. Between him and the owls, I don't think there will be any small fuzzy mammals in the spot come spring, if spring ever arrives...

Damn! Good stuff. I didn't know we had flying squirrels here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really interesting shots. I'm wondering if the squirrel was road kill...that neck looks....oddly skinny.

Damn! Good stuff. I didn't know we had flying squirrels here

Really interesting shots. I'm wondering if the squirrel was road kill...that neck looks....oddly skinny.
Nope, I'm pretty sure George killed the Squirrel himself. It's his favorite way to hunt. He knocks them off of trees and then pounces on them. I think when I saw him he had just had a really nice meal and was saving the legs for dessert... :)

Nope, I'm pretty sure George killed the Squirrel himself. It's his favorite way to hunt. He knocks them off of trees and then pounces on them. I think when I saw him he had just had a really nice meal and was saving the legs for dessert... :)

So are the squirrels aware that George is around and trying to hide or are they oblivious to the fact that he is hanging around in a tree?

I ask because I have had 3 red shouldered Hawks attempt to hunt one squirrel in a tree and they failed. The squirrel was acutely aware he was being hunted and managed to completely fool them which baffled me. It was like they were trying to corral the squirrel and somehow lost sight of it and it got away. Was kind of fun to watch.

Last edited:
Well at the least the remains of a squirrel flying through the air... :) Thanks for looking, comments welcome..

1 D800 Tamron 150-600.. I knew what was going to happen next...
George and squirrel 2_24 2 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

2 Pulled the D7000 and Tamron 70-200 VC up from the left side and caught as much of the sequence as I could...
George and squirrel 2_24 4 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

George and squirrel 2_24 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

George and squirrel 2_24 3 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

Very impressive sequence.....but then I would be disappointed if they were not.

So are the squirrels aware that George is around and trying to hide or are they oblivious to the fact that he is hanging around in a tree?

I ask because I have had 3 red shouldered Hawks attempt to hunt one squirrel in a tree and they failed. The squirrel was acutely aware he was being hunted and managed to completely fool them which baffled me. It was like they were trying to corral the squirrel and somehow lost sight of it and it got away. Was kind of fun to watch.
Oh yeah, the squirrels are very aware. They make a pretty strange crying type sound when George is nearby. I've never seen another Hawk hunt the way he does. Most Hawks wait until the critter is on the ground below them and pounce down. George flings himself into trees trying to grab the Squirrels. He is a pretty unique hawk. Sometimes the squirrels do manage to get away somehow..

Cool shoot! I had similar pic before too, LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back