Blocked in Doorway

Nygdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I like the subject in this shot, not entirely sure of the composition.
Roll1DX-04A.jpg

This is a similar shot and so is this for reference and comparison.

What would've been a good way to bring in more detail? I am thinking that, on the cemented blocks themselves, that the upper portion is in shade and the lower portion is perhaps relatively too bright then? It does seem a little distracting having that much white in the center.
Is it perhaps too unsharp? Tho I do think that the foliage that is out of focus should be out of focus here. I rather like how, in comparision to the other wider shot, there isn't much context for it, it gives it a bit more mystery and the like. What say anyone else?

I feel that there isn't any real subject, since I guess the "door" is too big in the frame, I saw the other shots and see that it would not help to step back, maybe using a filter like a cokin champange filter that blur's everyhing but the center would of helped here... on the camera stand point, the only thing I see out of place is the overexposure. I feel something is missing to make the picture interesting, maybe is as I told you that there isn't any real subject. you would need something to bring the attention only to the blocked door..

See thats interesting because other people were saying that its infact very difficult to overexpose b&w film. I'll have to take more care in the future. I have an old light meter but it requires mercury batteries and I haven't seen the sense in buying the replacements, but if I need to use it more perhaps I might.

I see whats meant by the subject being, well, there being no subject. Its sort of just a photo of a wall.

Thanks for the replies.

it may be difficult to overexpose b&w film but you've achieved it here. throw that meter away and use the sunny 16 rule for exposure; you won't go wrong using b&w. it's also not focused, but that may have been your intention. i like the idea and feel of the image, but it needs some work.

Nygdan said:
I have an old light meter but it requires mercury batteries and I haven't seen the sense in buying the replacements, but if I need to use it more perhaps I might.

Buy the batteries. Or a new meter.

The texture of the stone is interesting. And it seems this is a place that has been abandonded... an interesting feel to it. Perhaps different lighting conditions will help communicate this.

I think you've found something interesting. Some "additional photography" is something to think about.

[ya see, we photographers NEVER have to "reshoot" an image, but sometimes "additional" exposures are necessary.]

Good luck!

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back