Blocked in Doorway

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Nygdan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Nygdan

Nygdan TPF Noob!

I like the subject in this shot, not entirely sure of the composition.
    [​IMG]
    This is a similar shot and so is this for reference and comparison.

What would've been a good way to bring in more detail? I am thinking that, on the cemented blocks themselves, that the upper portion is in shade and the lower portion is perhaps relatively too bright then? It does seem a little distracting having that much white in the center.
    Is it perhaps too unsharp? Tho I do think that the foliage that is out of focus should be out of focus here. I rather like how, in comparision to the other wider shot, there isn't much context for it, it gives it a bit more mystery and the like. What say anyone else?

2. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

I feel that there isn't any real subject, since I guess the "door" is too big in the frame, I saw the other shots and see that it would not help to step back, maybe using a filter like a cokin champange filter that blur's everyhing but the center would of helped here... on the camera stand point, the only thing I see out of place is the overexposure. I feel something is missing to make the picture interesting, maybe is as I told you that there isn't any real subject. you would need something to bring the attention only to the blocked door..

3. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

I agree with Cuervo, it feels overexposed. It's missing a lot of contrast due to that fact.

4. Nygdan

Nygdan TPF Noob!

See thats interesting because other people were saying that its infact very difficult to overexpose b&w film. I'll have to take more care in the future. I have an old light meter but it requires mercury batteries and I haven't seen the sense in buying the replacements, but if I need to use it more perhaps I might.

I see whats meant by the subject being, well, there being no subject. Its sort of just a photo of a wall.

Thanks for the replies.

5. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

it may be difficult to overexpose b&w film but you've achieved it here. throw that meter away and use the sunny 16 rule for exposure; you won't go wrong using b&w. it's also not focused, but that may have been your intention. i like the idea and feel of the image, but it needs some work.

6. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Buy the batteries. Or a new meter.

The texture of the stone is interesting. And it seems this is a place that has been abandonded... an interesting feel to it. Perhaps different lighting conditions will help communicate this.

I think you've found something interesting. Some "additional photography" is something to think about.

[ya see, we photographers NEVER have to "reshoot" an image, but sometimes "additional" exposures are necessary.]

Good luck!

-Pete