Bokeh ?

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just love to start something that is pointless and will turn rapidly into a hornets nest and roll on for years. And THIS has all the hallmarks of just such a thread (A bit like "Do you think Canon is better than Nikon")
for instance.... ! ! !

Bokeh...(the appearance of the out of focus bit of your images). Frankley, to me this is not THE most important part of photography, although the more I look into it the more I can appreciate that it has its points... What I want to know is.....

How is it pronounced? Hard "O" or soft... Is it "KU" or KAY" or evn really obscure like... B. O. K. E. H. .... Alfred????

thoughts please...

You are not allowed to start pointless threads until you have at least 1000 posts.

I think bOkay is an important aspect or charactaristic of a particular lens.

Alfred..
How did you know my middle name?

And I always thought it was Bow-Kay. And I think when a fast, long telephoto is used wide open to isolate a subject, it is important. Just not the most important thing.

Bokeh from the Japanese ぼけ. Pronounced Bo Ke. If it were not a short sharp sound there would be extra silent characters in there to indicate. But then Americans may not be able to pronounce this, especially those who have Nykon cameras in aluminum cases :p.

(sic) and (sic) to the typos! :lol:

Bokeh from the Japanese ??. Pronounced Bo Ke. If it were not a short sharp sound there would be extra silent characters in there to indicate. But then Americans may not be able to pronounce this, especially those who have Nykon cameras in aluminum cases :p.

Don't you mean an al-ew-mini-ummm case, like certain folks down under would say?

Bokeh is particularly valuable in night photography. If you're OOF area is just a wash of colors then you're not really isolating something from its background. If you can have strong elements that stay interesting without being in focus, you have a really strong shot.

And as is typical in photography, chances are the bokeh is going to be better and more interesting when it comes from an expensive lens.

Bokeh is particularly valuable in night photography. If you're OOF area is just a wash of colors then you're not really isolating something from its background. If you can have strong elements that stay interesting without being in focus, you have a really strong shot.

And as is typical in photography, chances are the bokeh is going to be better and more interesting when it comes from an expensive lens.
Not necessarily if you're creative.
The most interesting bokeh I've ever seen came from a slightly modified nifty fifty ($75USD):
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

Bokeh from the Japanese ??. Pronounced Bo Ke. If it were not a short sharp sound there would be extra silent characters in there to indicate. But then Americans may not be able to pronounce this, especially those who have Nykon cameras in aluminum cases :p.

Ok, Garbz, try saying "idea," "I saw it" or "banana" without adding an R sound to any of those words.

That is what I thought. :lol:

Don't you mean an al-ew-mini-ummm case, like certain folks down under would say?

Yes those who can't read properly. So about 90% of our highschool grads :D

Ok, Garbz, try saying "idea," "I saw it" or "banana" without adding an R sound to any of those words.

That is what I thought. :lol:

Heheheh I'm from Austria originally I have enough trouble saying "This lens is crap" to the local photo club without them shouting back "zeiss lenses are not crap!" :biglaugh:

Heheheh I'm from Austria originally I have enough trouble saying "This lens is crap" to the local photo club without them shouting back "zeiss lenses are not crap!" :biglaugh:

Reminds me of this friend of a friend of mine, who in a Restaurant in the US had a philosophical discussion with an American. When it came to Kant, the American would pronounce that name in a strange way of course, and he would not listen to our German fellow trying to explain the pronounciation to him. So the argument got louder and louder with the German ending up in almost shouting "No, Kant, Kant Kant!!!" (German pronounciation) ... he really got in trouble and was almost removed from the restaurant for shouting obscenities :lmao:

Yes those who can't read properly. So about 90% of our highschool grads :D

:lmao:Good one Garbz!:lmao:

Most reactions

Back