gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was a very long exposure--810 seconds!

p107282614-4.jpg

Nikon D800, Nikon 14-24 2.8

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn

Love it!

Did you have a long-exposure app to help you calculate the exposure, or did you just trial-and-error guess-timate?

Love it!

Did you have a long-exposure app to help you calculate the exposure, or did you just trial-and-error guess-timate?
Thank you...yes, I use the "NDTimer" app on my iPhone to help with the calculation. I try not to guess too much, because I only get a couple of chances at getting it right when the exposure exceeds 10 minutes.

Glenn

Great shot. As a point of reference for those of us still learning, would you share the approximate time of day this was taken???

Great shot. As a point of reference for those of us still learning, would you share the approximate time of day this was taken???
Thanks! Certainly...this picture was taken about 15 minutes after sunset. It's amazing how much color that the sensor can reveal (that my eyes can't see) after the sun has set. By the end of the exposure, it was so dark out there that I couldn't see the dials on my camera without a flashlight. I enjoy shooting before sunrise and after sunset because I like how the light becomes so soft.

Glenn

What ND filter did you have on, a 'Big stopper'?

It's amazing how much color that the sensor can reveal (that my eyes can't see) after the sun has set.

Thank you for the information. Since you mentioned the ND timer, I thought you might have been using an ND filter. I've been experimenting with maximum color saturation. Of late I've been dragging myself out of bed before daylight, might have to sleep in and try your approach.

What ND filter did you have on, a 'Big stopper'?
Unfortunately, the Nikon 14-24 will not accept typical filters. It requires a special set up. I used the Fotodiox Wonderpana system with its 10 stop filter for this shot. So, the strength of the ND filter is the same as the Big Stopper.

Glenn

It's amazing how much color that the sensor can reveal (that my eyes can't see) after the sun has set.

Thank you for the information. Since you mentioned the ND timer, I thought you might have been using an ND filter. I've been experimenting with maximum color saturation. Of late I've been dragging myself out of bed before daylight, might have to sleep in and try your approach.
I use the same approach for sunrises--often shooting about 30 minutes before the sun rises. Sometimes, I'll shoot both sunrise and sunset on the same day, and that becomes challenging in the summer months when the sun rises at 5:45 AM and sets at 9:15 PM!

Glenn

Very very nice, but ... (the big but), maybe too much sky. If you take a little off the top ... okay you lose that gorgeous sky transitioning from yellow to blue (matching the lake blue) ... but the rock, the primary subject, the center of interest become more prominent ... no longer dwarfed by the big sky. Just a thought, we all see differently and shoot differently and I like it as is.

PS- And I might want to hit the rock with a wee bit of dodge just to add to its visual prominence.

Very very nice, but ... (the big but), maybe too much sky. If you take a little off the top ... okay you lose that gorgeous sky transitioning from yellow to blue (matching the lake blue) ... but the rock, the primary subject, the center of interest become more prominent ... no longer dwarfed by the big sky. Just a thought, we all see differently and shoot differently and I like it as is.
Thanks Gary...I very much appreciate the feedback. I'm very much hoping that participating in these forums will get me thinking more about how to improve my pictures--and comments like your's help a great deal.

Glenn

Most reactions

Back