Bridge vs. Lightroom

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by ShotwellPhotography, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ShotwellPhotography

ShotwellPhotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I currently use Lightroom to manage all my photos, and edit most of them, but I see books recommend Bridge. I tried it briefly but did not see any benefit over Lightroom. Is it really just a personal opinion thing, or is Bridge better than Lightroom, and if so what am I missing out on.

2. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i manage my own files and use bridge to view and import into PS. i don't like the layout and different stages of workflow within lightroom, i found it took much longer for me to go through the post processing in lightroom.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They do a lot of the same things but Bridge is basically an expanded version of Photoshop's file browser. It's a great little program but it's no Lightroom.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Bridge and Lightroom are not comparable.

I wonder why people can't put things as Bridge OR Lightroom, Canon or Nikon, Green or Red Everything has to be vs.

5. max3k

max3k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Theres a great TV network called Verses, but I've never seen photography on it, just fighting, racing, and the occasional darts.....

6. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lightroom is like the best parts of bridge with a prettied up part of ACR, plus a few other features that completes the workflow, all squished together in a rather sleek little package.

Bridge's file navigation is PUH-HAIN-FUL. Whoever designed it was definitely on some special version of crack. They skip that bit with LR in favor of the catalog concept, but many of the preview and metadata bits are closely identical.

That being said, I learned a bridged-based workflow with all the external tools that complete said workflow and I use lightroom to basically do my flash galleries. (Sad? But I got it on an amazon gold box deal with 5 minutes left and paid less than $100 for it, plus a rebate at the time of $20.)

7. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would stick with LR if I were you. It's as rufus said, a sleek little package. Personally I never liked Bridge; that was before I got into photography though. I keep things to LR and I like it that way. Much of the time I can stay out of Photoshop, especially if I'm doing any photojournalistic shots.