vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

Living in NZ means you get alot of nice cloudy days, which I find great for outdoor photography. However, the past few days have been really bright and sunny and I find it alot harder to take nice pics when its really bright.

I could use any tips and suggestions you have about shooting in bright lights. Usually I try to underexpose my shots a couple of notches, but I don't seem to get the best results.

Craig (of this forum) suggested I look into neutral density filters. Can anyone else give me their suggestions? I had a polarising filter which i loved until friend accidently dropped my camera on its lens :shock: luckily only the polarising filter was cracked :(

My camera is a digital Canon D10. I use a tamron 28-300 lens. :D

to sum it up:
1. what are suggestions for bright lighting?
2. what filters can I use for different situations?
3. what links do your recommend for 'further investigation'?

cheers!

ND filters are a good idea but get a higher number for bright days. THey rate from 1-5. I just got a 2 and it doesnt seem to do a whole lot. I'd sugest either a 4 or 5. (or just get another polarizer)

Overexposure is not your problem. In bright sunlight you have harsh lighting that casts harsh shadows. Clouds are your friend :D

The 10D tends to blow highlights, it acts more like shooting slides.
I usually underexpose by at least a third f-stop and control the histogram - also I activated the 'blinking' highlights for the LCD.
Also if you shoot jpg, you don't have much room for color corrections.
If I need to shoot something 'dead-on' I shoot RAW.

A polarizer is aways a good idea. Haven't used ND filters though...

Most reactions

Back