Foques

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foquesphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys,

my lady's bday is coming up soon and I would like to get her a camera and a lens or two..Perhaps couple of other things..
The question is, really, what is the best package you think I can get her?

I am definitely sticking with Nikon.. (most likely D40x)
What lenses should I get her?
What tripod?
What accessory?

My limit is 1500.

thank you in advance..

Take her down to the store, tell her what the limit is, pick up a magazine, and when she's done, pay the bill. Seriously; unless you are just as into photography as she is, and of the same knowledge level, buying major kit is, IMO, not the best plan.

I would love to do that, but can not.
1) She will refuse to do that. She will just get the cheapest and crappiest stuff.. she knows that money making is hard, and has too much respect for that..
2) I know a tad more about cameras thanks to you guys..

Does she like photography? does she really need a dslr? is it worth spending 1500 bucks on a hobby she might not follow? if so.. What photography is she in to?

You have to ask yourself some questions here

Well, she is into arts. Heavily.

The camera that i've got was my b-day present last year, and she told me on a few occasions that it was hard for her to give it up, cause she would love to have one etc etc..

I'd like to get her a basic set up, really.. One telescopic, one basic lense.. She was doing object photography with her p/s camera for quite a bit..
May want to expand to model shoots etc.

I just want to get her the first step or two along the way.
tia.

Well, she is into arts. Heavily.

The camera that i've got was my b-day present last year, and she told me on a few occasions that it was hard for her to give it up, cause she would love to have one etc etc..

I'd like to get her a basic set up, really.. One telescopic, one basic lense.. She was doing object photography with her p/s camera for quite a bit..
May want to expand to model shoots etc.

I just want to get her the first step or two along the way.
tia.

is your camera a dslr? if so id say buy the same brand so you guys can interchange lenses.

^^
d40..
that is exactly why i'm sticking with nikon ;)

I just don't know what leses / tripod i should get for the best value, and looking to see what the professionals would suggest.

get the d40x the nifty fifty (50mm F/1.8) and a slightly longer basic nikon zoom. from what ive seen i think the 18-135 is a really popular lens with nikon. shouldnt run you over 1500 at all.

I personally would recommend 2 particular lenses but there's something you need to know. I have a D80 and on a D40 you will lose the AF feature on them and possibly other features I am not sure so do your research. In any event, I have had much success with both of my suggestions:

Most kits come with the 18-55mm and maybe even the 55-200mm combined. My dad has both and he replaced it with the 18-200mm VR to cut down on lens changes and he wanted the VR feature. Nikon's VR, Sigma's OS and the like are a main feature that is paramount if you intend to get use of the system without a tripod all the time. We really cant see a difference between his Nikon 18-200mm VR and my Sigma 18-200mm OS.

The 50mm f/1.8 is so inexpensive and produces such excellent results that even if it's not on the priority list, you would find uses for it once you see what it can do. It is truely an amazing piece of glass especially for the money. This was the last lens I purchased and I wish it was my first.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:
what did u decide on?

d40x body
55-200
18-135
and a 18-200
Still trying to pick out a tripod (looking for two, actually, one for me, one for her) and a bag.

d40x body
55-200
18-135
and a 18-200
Still trying to pick out a tripod (looking for two, actually, one for me, one for her) and a bag.
Do you really need three lenses that do the same thing, and don't even do it all that well? I don't know much about Nikon lenses, but I'm guessing just getting the 18-135 would suit you just fine. Maybe pick up the 50mm f/1.8 too.

I also question the d40x. It's only 2 extra megapixels, and as far as I know that's the only difference. I'd saved some money and grab another D40. You'll get better ISO performance, and probably won't miss the extra inch or so you'd gain in printing size.

what happen to the 1500 budget? at a boy.

I was gonna get the D40 until I put a D80 in my hand.

I think you are doubling up your focal lengths too much. IMO, stick with two that don't cross over. Unless the third lens is the 50mm f/1.8.

Apart from lenses, a tripod is the next best investment you can make. If $$$ is a restriction, better spent on glass. Otherwise, I like my Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and either the 322RC2 or 488RC4 heads, but that is around $300USD...... can't remember.

Bags...... I like Lowepro. Get the AW version (All Weather....slip over rain protection)

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back