Butterfly and bokeh circles

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it bokeh balls or bokeh circles or just plain bokeh? This butterfly stayed in one area for a few photos at the Uni's Garden. I was careful not to step on any plants. They have a nice butterfly garden plantings.

Butterfly by Cheryl, on Flickr

072223_004wSM.jpg

072223_009wSM.jpg

072223_015wSM.jpg

Lovely! This guy was very cooperative about keeping those wings spread. Wonder what he was tangled up in, to get the ragged edges?

Beautiful!
Thanks Jeff!

Lovely! This guy was very cooperative about keeping those wings spread. Wonder what he was tangled up in, to get the ragged edges?
Thanks Terri! The area was about 10'x10' with lots of butterfly attracting plants. I was sorry to see his ragged wings.

Nice shots. Love that bokeh. What lens were you using?

Beautiful. I think the term bokeh has become interchangeable with both background blur, quality of background blur and background circles. Also people now pronounce it as bokah where I was told it was pronounced like bokay. Which do you say?

I call that bokeh balls or circle bokeh. If the circles are clear in the middle I call it bubble bokeh.

Nice shots. Love that bokeh. What lens were you using?
Thanks John! Fujinon 90mm on the XT-4

Beautiful. I think the term bokeh has become interchangeable with both background blur, quality of background blur and background circles. Also people now pronounce it as bokah where I was told it was pronounced like bokay. Which do you say?

I call that bokeh balls or circle bokeh. If the circles are clear in the middle I call it bubble bokeh.
Thanks Sharon! I pronounce as bokah. I was surprised with the circles. This lens usually produces the smooth bokeh.

Thanks Sharon! I pronounce as bokah. I was surprised with the circles. This lens usually produces the smooth bokeh.
Must have been some light filtering through.

Beautiful shot, looks like he's had a few close shaves in his past!

Beautiful! I like the circles.

.................................................................... I was surprised with the circles. This lens usually produces the smooth bokeh.

I use that lens a lot and I have never seen anything other than a pleasant smooth bokey. Must experiment.

Beautiful shot, looks like he's had a few close shaves in his past!
thanks! Yes close shaves!

Beautiful! I like the circles.
Thank you!

I use that lens a lot and I have never seen anything other than a pleasant smooth bokey. Must experiment.
Please post your experiments. For my photo the background was far away with the light behind my left shoulder. Trees were far in the distance.

Bokeh Balls!!!!! In addition to the terms already mentioned they're also known as disks of confusion, circles of indistinctness, blur circles, or blur spots. The definition I adhear to on bokeh is the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image which includes the area both in front of and behind the focal plane. While Bokeh Balls are the the highlights formed from point sources of light in the OOF areas.

These are very nice shots. One thing that impresses me is the overall smooth, creamy texture of the OOF areas. That isn't the case with all glass.

These are very nice shots. One thing that impresses me is the overall smooth, creamy texture of the OOF areas. That isn't the case with all glass.
Thanks Bill! I don't think Fuji makes a bad lens. I've had other brands' lenses that produced a jittery backgound.

Thanks Bill! I don't think Fuji makes a bad lens. I've had other brands' lenses that produced a jittery backgound.
All glass isn't equal on bokeh even within the same manufacturer's lineup.

Most reactions

Back