Buying Gear

scoutwes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at buying some camera gear (lenses, flash units) to add to my setup. Currently I own a Nikon D80 with a 18-135 lense. I'm looking to add on but I'm not sure what my next purchase should be? Anyone have any tips on what to get next and where the best place to get it would be. I'm on a tight budget so the cheaper the better!!

Thanks

Well first things first - what do you want to do with this kit? What is this new lens or flash etc.. going to be for shooting - that is the first thing to think of
Secondly its really better if you can give an amount for your budget - there is cheap and there is cheap! ;)

Further is this a purchase for a photography job or are you just after kit advice? If so then I think you might have hit the wrong section (no worries we all do this at some time or another)

This is for jobs. I'm looking at getting into event photography as well as photo journalism. I'm thinking prob. a good wide angle lense but I don't know where to begin looking for them. I'm actually a photographer in the Air Force so i have experiece with lenses I just don't know a good place to get them. As far as cost right now I only have about $100 to spend as I just spent all my money on the camera and the lense i have now.

Get a 50mm f/1.8 and a sb-600. They will really be a nice accompaniment to your kit.

I would love a sb-600 but I think thats out of my price range for now anyway. A 50mm is not a bad idea any other ideas?

Many old school photojournalist will tell you they hate flash and will only use it when needed. Using natural light is the way to go and I agree with them. My fav work horse lense is a Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 but the Nikkor 18-70mm is not a bad substitute. And 12-24mm f/4 is a great lense to get up close and fit everything in the photo. And lastly my fav is the Nikkor 70-200mm. Very expensive for all of these but thats the price for professional gear. Save your money for lense like these. Often people buy the cheap lense first then are unhappy with them and will end of spending more money on the lenses they should have purchased in the first place.

I couls suggest (as many others will) the 50mm 1.8. If you only have $100 I say really just save your money. When I first saw your post I was going to suggest the 70-200VR 2.8 but for the small amount of money you have I say just save it you already have all the lenses you will need till you can spend some real money.

Keep the money. Spend it only on something you actually need. Lots of people will *think* they need something when in fact they don't. For example, I use a Canon 17-85 IS lens for most of my work. A lot of people will point to the flaws but will omit the good points and the fact the good points outweigh the flaws by a good margin. If I was to be swayed by the people that say it's not a good lens then I'd end up spending $1000+ on a 17-50 that I don't really need and which just isn't quite long enough at the long end.

Most reactions

Back