C&C Self Portraits

Annamas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm as green as they get, and I'm really interested in learning to become as good as most of you. I have seen amazing work in this forum, which inspires and motivates me greatly, but scares me at the same time. At this point I'm no Zeckson or Tharmsen, i'm still learning to crawl, let alone walk.

So I submit these 3 picks for C&C. If the images are not embedded properly after this posted, I'll be tinkering with it to get it to work.

3787370625_7944019e07_b.jpg

3787372989_12e5592d7c_b.jpg

3. Self Portrait
3788184240_01b5c7ce74_b.jpg

I am no expert! but the telephone poles in the back ground of the last are distracting and I dont really like there placement. Maybe you could edit them out! I really love the first two though! The sunsets are amazing! Great start and it looks good from one newbie to another =D

Good looking picture, I like the color off the sky for #1! But why do I see lot of spotting dot for photo #2? Is it because the UV lens or front lens is drity?

Kcc

#1 - I really like the colors in this one. Something to watch out for though, is the placement of your subject and the horizon. The subject (you, I'm guessing since you said they are self portraits) is almost smack dab in the middle of the photo. The horizon also cuts the frame almost exactly in half. If you could move the subject more to the right, and cut a bit off the top or bottom (easy to crop it this way) it would make for a much more interesting shot. With these suggestions, I think it would be the strongest of the bunch.

#2 - I think this is the strongest of the three. Although I prefer the vertical orientation of #1, this is simply a stronger photo due to the much better composition.

#3 - When you're taking portraits, be especially careful of what's in the background. If it weren't for the telephone poles in the background, this would be a great shot. I'm not a huge fan of the pose, but that could just be preference. I like the desaturated look, but be careful because it's very easy to go too far with it.

Good looking picture, I like the color off the sky for #1! But why do I see lot of spotting dot for photo #2? Is it because the UV lens or front lens is drity?

Kcc
Dirty sensor.

I like these a lot.

That first shot would have been a winner if the horizon wasn't cutting through the subject. Could crop off some of the space above the subject too.

Thank you all for you opinions and critiques, it's the only way i'm going to get better. Probably go out again next chance I get.

Thanks again!

Did someone mention my name? :)

Good day. If you are proclaiming as a newbie in photography, I don't believe you. Newbies don't hold onto a Canon 30D, one general walkaround lens and two telephoto lenses. If you are saying you are new to portrait photography, perhaps I can give it to you. You don't own any flash... probably a nature wildlife shooter? I am just guessing... Pardon me for that. :p

When I do my images, I always stick to my basic foundation works. I never leave them ever since I started shooting portraits seriously about 2 years ago. What are they? They are none other than FACT.

What is that? Here is the explanation:

F - Framing
A - Angles
C - Composition
T - Tilts

ALL portraits, or maybe I should perhaps say, ALL photography, do not move away from any of the components I mentioned just now -- FACT. In simple English,

Framing = How you want to display the elements in your image
Angle = How you wanna approach your subject in different directions
Composition = What elements are supposed to be in your image
Tilts = How you want to change the viewing perspective of your images

Photography is PURELY an art form that portrays an expression and/or a message to the audience through means of variable techniques with the help of advanced technology. Although there is high tech events at work here, it is still the art form that powers the core.

Different people will have different ways of seeing things, which also applies different views of an image. If the image works for you now, it works. Perhaps some time later when you are more in-depth on it, you look at the same image again and you may see it differently.

I would not want to comment on your images at this time but would want you to know what makes an image work (or perhaps you already know...?). If you don't, FACT will help you. These are your core basic fundamentals of photography.

I wish you good luck on your learning journey! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back