camara body or lens ?

jaya28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone New to this site so HI. Hope I'm posting this in the right place.
Did a search did not really come up with anything. So here goes I have a canon XTI that works great takes nice pictures. Wanting to get a 40 or 50D. But was thinking would it be better to get better lens first. Than get a better body? Than I will have good lens and 2 bodies. What do u all think.

2nd question what lens would u all say would be a good walk around lens?

Thanks all
jay

I shoot Nikon but that shouldn't matter for all intensive purposes with your question. If you're happy with your current body then get glass - no doubt about it.

As far as the lens, I love my 35-70 f/2.8 but just today received my new Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 and I'm loving it! Huge focal range to enjoy for a walk around/general purpose lens.

I agree with Noyze, if your happy with your xti then keep it and get a better lens. BTW, you didnt say what lens you already owned. If you decided to go the New body route, the 40D and 50D are better than your xti so, i would definitely look to sell the xti and put the cash to better gear.

I will also agree. If your current camera body is adequate, then an upgraded lens would be a bigger benefit.

upgrade a lens over a body.

A good walk around lens? Depends what you currently have and what your budget is. I've heard alot of people like the Canon 24-105 f/4 IS as a walk around, although some say that on a crop sensor, that 24 is not always wide enough.

Well I was thinking about switching to nikon(like how they feel in my hand). But i also like canon so it really don't matter to me they both feel ok. I think I will stay with canon and get the 40d or 50 after new lens. Than I can use the XTI as a backup. Would be nice to not have to change lens as often.

The lens I have now are a canon 50mm 1.8 really like that lens for 50 bucks can not go wrong.
Than I have a tamron 75-300
and a tamron 28-80
These are the ones I want to replace they were the kit lens. They are ok but the AF sucks on them and the photos just don't look that good to me.

I know I want to get a fish eye lens and a wide angle lens. don't know if I should stick with canon of go with sigma or the better tammy's.What do u all think. Money is a prob not rich here lol
thanks all jay

I would get a new lens first. A different lens makes a much bigger impact. I still have my XTi. I have the 40D as well as a 5DmkII. I don't know why I keep the XTi as it is redundant now, but I learned on it, and without EXIF info I cannot tell pics from it vs 40D. Its a great camera body. For walk around, I would look at a lens starting around 17 or 18mm. Can you afford the 17-55 2.8 IS?

I agree with the lens choice. BTW ... there are strong rumors that the 60D is due out in August, so I wouldn't buy a new body right at this moment.

Ian

Why do you need a different camera ?
Why do you need different lenses ?

Which one has a bigger impact on your photographs ?

In most case's the lens will have a greater impact.

Well I really don't need a different camera. Still learning on this one. The only thing so far that I don't like I the XTI is it seems to all ways to slow. BUSY is allways flashing. I don't know if it does this on all cameras. But kinda sucks miss photos all the time.
As for the lens I know that better ones has better AF (faster) right?And more sharpness.

Yeah right now 1000 is little high for me. Anything around the 400 to 600 range?
Thanks jay

What kind of memory card are you using? Perhaps it is not fast enough for the camera?

Consider this:

- A new camera: Slight improvement in image quality and usability.
- A new lens: Large expansion on the types of images you can taken and your possible creative output.

The camera is not unimportant, but ultimately it only captures what the lens shapes, and there are a LOT of lenses which do a LOT of different things. I have 1 camera and 7 lenses and was considering the same thing only recently. I opted for another lens.

What kind of memory card are you using? Perhaps it is not fast enough for the camera?

the card i have is a hi-speed 40 4GB

Going to go with lens. But So hard to fig out what ones /what brand. Have heard all different thing about tamrons, sigs, and canons, some good some bad all about the same lens. Guess u just have to buy it and see if you like it. If not than resale it.
thanks jay

the card i have is a hi-speed 40 4GB

Going to go with lens. But So hard to fig out what ones /what brand. Have heard all different thing about tamrons, sigs, and canons, some good some bad all about the same lens. Guess u just have to buy it and see if you like it. If not than resale it.
thanks jay

I'm not familiar with that card, but a constant 'busy' suggests to me that it is not fast enough. Search TPF -- somewhere there is a link to a site that compares cards.

I love my Tamron 17-50mm f 2.8. It lives on my 30D most of the time.

Ian

Most reactions

New Topics

Back