Camera body prices

I'd be really careful about sites that offer equipment that cheap. They are often bait and switch scams:

they pull you in with a cheap price, and then when you buy it, turn around and tell you that they're all out of the japanese model that you ordered and the U.S. version is xx$ more. Generally speaking if it is significantly cheaper than B&H or Adorama, than you should be cautious.

Just ONE of the many, many stories on the net about how big of rip-off scam artists Express Camera is. Do not, under any circumstances, buy from them.

Adorama, B&H & Ritz are reputable places to buy cameras. I have purchased several from Cameta Camera (the sell a lot on eBay), and they have been outstanding (all cameras from them have been factory fresh, US warranty models).

I am a big fan of B&H.

Also:

NEWARK, NJ. Nov. 30, 2006.
The Attorney General's Office and Division of Consumer Affairs have filed suit against an Edison-based electronics company for allegedly violating the state's Consumer Fraud Act and Advertising Regulations in its advertisement and sale of cameras and other electronic equipment.

The lawsuit, filed in Middlesex County Superior Court, alleges that Save Here Distribution, Inc., engaged in unconscionable commercial practices and made false promises and misrepresentations to consumers.

The company sells items through various web sites and toll-free telephone numbers. Sale items include cameras, televisions, VCRs and gaming consoles, among other things.

The state's complaint alleges that Save Here Distribution used bait and switch tactics, failed to deliver merchandise and misled consumers in the advertising and pricing of items. The specific allegations include:
Failing to sell merchandise at the price advertised on the company's web site;
Charging or attempting to separately charge for accessories or equipment that the Original Equipment Manufacturer included with the merchandise (for example, camera batteries and/or battery chargers);
Charging consumers inflated shipping and handling fees;
Failing to provide any price reduction for merchandise which appears to be on sale or reduced;
Failing to inform consumers at the time of purchase that some or all of the merchandise is out of stock; and
Refusing to permit consumers to cancel an order or merchandise upgrade prior to shipment.
The company allegedly used terms like Price Drop, List Price and/or Our Price on its web sites without providing any price reductions for the advertised merchandise.
Save Here Distribution has advertised and/or sold merchandise through the following web sites: expresscameras.com, geniuscameras.com, trustedcamera.com, trustedphoto.com, luckydigital8.com, clearviewcamera.com, bluestripephoto.com and hopecamera.com.

The state is seeking restitution for affected consumers, maximum civil penalties which currently provide for up to $10,000 for the initial violation of the Consumer Fraud Act and up to $20,000 for each subsequent violation, and reimbursement of the state's investigative costs and legal fees.

Deputy Attorney General Geoffrey R. Gersten is representing the state in this matter.

Just ONE of the many, many stories on the net about how big of rip-off scam artists Express Camera is. Do not, under any circumstances, buy from them.

Adorama, B&H & Ritz are reputable places to buy cameras. I have purchased several from Cameta Camera (the sell a lot on eBay), and they have been outstanding (all cameras from them have been factory fresh, US warranty models).

I am a big fan of B&H.

After reading so many stories of scam retailers, I am surprised no one has gone postal on these people.

I use Amazon.com a lot. The only trick is if they carry it. I am more hesitant to deal with the third party vendors they host unless it is B&H, Adorama, etc.

To be honest I found circuit city locally is about as inexpensive as anyone. I have bought two scanners from newegg.com but I don't know about digital cameras. I know that circuit city had the lowest price on a sony alfa digital body. I don't know about anything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back