Camera for beginner - budget 1500€

I agree, Canon may be the "top performer", Nikon noticeably lags in most areas - "IQ" image quality, AF speed, selection of lens, etc. that's why most pros shoot with Canon gear
but also look at mirrorless ... all the features of a DSLR but smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Why not post your source? What Canon is better IQ over which Nikon that noticeable lags in most areas??? Above was listed 3 comparable cameras with similar functions and pricing. The Canon was clearly the lower performer by DXO testing. And yet you say Canon better, Nikon worse. But never post a source of your information! If there is another site besides DXO that tests and lists their results. I would love to see it for reference. As far as I know DXO is independent and has no reason to favor one maker over another.

Canon is clearly the "top seller" as reported by sales numbers. Sony recently took #2 position from Nikon.

Of the 2 cameras you list. I would probably go with the Sony performance wise.

beagle100 said:
I agree, Canon may be the "top performer", Nikon noticeably lags in most areas - "IQ" image quality, AF speed, selection of lens, etc. that's why most pros shoot with Canon gear
but also look at mirrorless ... all the features of a DSLR but smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens

Utter crap from an agent provocateur who just loooooooooves mirrorless cameras and posts nonsense about them, over and over. The idea that Nikon lacks in ""IQ" image quality, AF speed, selection of lens, etc. " is utter bullspit. Pure bullspit. Hilariously nonsensical, and well, just a total lie. IQ? Nikon betters Canon, Sony does too! AF speed? Nikon is fantastic! Selection of lenses? Nikon has every lens needed, and more, plus 50-plus years worth of earlier lenses as well. Canon and Nikon are very competitive on lenses offered. For the beginner to intermediate, ANY brand has ample lens choices.

Most pros shoot with Canon because in the 1990's and the early 2000's, Canon had better-performing cameras than Nikon had. But since 2009, Canon has slowly been falling behind in performance, but the cost of switching systems keeps many people locked into whatever system they started with, years earlier. And also, the major advantage Canon has is its marketing and advertising! Canon has had truly masterful marketing, and amazing, compelling television advertising for decades now--something that NO other camera maker has had. Canon's original success with televison advertising in the AE-1 era, and then in the film Rebel era, and then and now, in the digital era, conviced hundreds of thousands of people to go with Canon equipment.

In the 1990's, Canon's AF film cameras were better than Nikon's! In the early 2000's, Nikon's digitial SLR cameras were behind Canon's in sensor performance. But now? Canon has second-tier sensor performance, behind sensors made by Nikon, Sony, and Toshiba, and others as well. Still, one can shoot good or even great pictures with second-tier or even third-tier gear. The photographer is still **the most important** part of the equation. By far.

the 50mm 1.8 is good, the second lens is only for "M" mirrorless

Full frame is better for low light situations and "background blur" otherwise a crop model could be better (and cheaper)

Join a local photography group .. www.meetup.com and discover why most people (including the pros) prefer Canon because of the "IQ" image quality, selection of lens, focusing, etc. But the newer mirrorless models are great .... all the DSLR functions in a smaller and lighter body

Canon 6D vs Sony A7II ?
In this price range I would get the Nikon D610, its better then the 6D, it has same sensor as the A7II but owning Nikon you will enjoy the huge selection of Nikon lenses and the many other excellent third party lenses.
If you get the Sony A7II you are forced to get the Sony lenses, nothing wrong with them except 2 issues
Very few of them available and they cost 2 or even 3 times more then equivalent lenses you can get for a Nikon system.
So Nikon D610 is what I recommend if you thinking for full frame camera.

My only problem with your canon 6d Sony A7 set is both of these cameras are more expensive than the crop sensor ones suggested, and unless you up your budget you will likely end up putting sub par lenses on these.

You can get fantastic performance from a modern aps-c camera and good lenses, it would likely be better than fullframe and cheap lenses

thanks for your answers !
I'm a bit confused about the canon vs nikon war, because it looks like a lot are pro Canon (professional wise)
@Derrel 'But since 2009, Canon has slowly been falling behind in performance, but the cost of switching systems keeps many people locked into whatever system they started' I get your point, but it's 8 years ago so I guess now professional should had time to switch if it's really worth it, no ? And Canon is still very popular no? Even for professional.
I'm no pro Canon or Nikon, just wondering what's the best in my case.

@jaomul you say a modern aps-c would likely be better than fullframe and cheap lenses ? I don't really get why, I heard full frame are better for landscapes, low lights ... For the price, you think this is no worth it : Canon EOS 6D DSLR Cuerpo ? 959.99 € for a Canon 6D looks ok, no?

I get that Sony is more expensive, but in the same time most of you says the quality is very good, is it worth the price? I want to be able to keep it (body, but mostly lenses), so if long terms wise Sony is more interesting it could be a good possibility.

Is there someone who have both and could tell me what it would recommend in my case? That would be great.

Thanks again

@max_b , forget about brand wars. Currently Nikon is ahead in terms of dynamic range, but that can change any time. All brands have their pros and cons, it's up to you what you need, prefer etc. For instance Nikon struggles with consistent results and had quite a few faulty cameras in past years, but Nikon fanboys won't tell you that ;) Canon on the other hand is lacking in terms of evolution and they hide behind their marketing. Sony is quite limited when it comes to accessories and lenses, and it can be really expensive comparing to Canon or Nikon.

Canon 6D is a fine camera, I bought it just few weeks ago for myself and I'm really happy about it even though it's quite old (introduced 5 years ago). The problem with it in your case is that you're on a quite limiting budget. To buy a GOOD lens you need to reserve at least $400-500 for a single lens, even for used. By spending 2/3 of your budget just on a body you will need to settle with low performing lenses and you won't be able to use 6D to its fullest potential. Usually it's best to buy good lenses first, because they will stay with you much longer than a body. Once you have a nice collection, you can switch bodies pretty much every year if your financial situation allows it, because bodies are not that "durable". Lenses can last you over 10-20 years without a problem, but you will need to switch your bodies often compared to that.

So, ultimately it's up to your decision. Pick a brand and unless you have a VERY good reason to switch, stay with it. Switching brands after you've committed hundreds or thousands of dollars is not cheap nor easy. If you can, go to a store and try these cameras personally. You will know which you prefer more, which grip is better for your hands etc. Also some stores offer camera renting (let's say for few days or even few weeks), so maybe that would help you too to make the best decision for you.

Once again, I can't stress this enough, don't listen to people advocating "brand xyz is better!" or "dslr/mirrorless is much better!!!", because that's never just black and white. Don't forget that your gear are just tools. Pretty much any camera can give you great results if you learn how to use it.

Thanks @Tomasko, base on your advice, I thinking about the Canon 80d again.
I found this : Canon EOS 80D DSLR con Objetivos 18-55 IS STM y 55-250mm IS STM
Is it worth it to buy this kind of pack with 2 lenses, or it's better to buy the body alone? Because of the low price of the packs.
That seems like an excellent deal to me. The IS STM lenses are well enough rated and also work well for video. This leaves enough out of your budget for a tripod, a cable release and plenty left over for either a fast prime or wideangle lens later if you feel it is required

ok sounds great. I see everywhere the fixed lenses 50mm is a must have. In this scenario, is it worth it for the money left on my budget? f/1.8, f/1.4?
If I want to invest in a nice lens for landscape (wide lense), what would you recommend ?

You can't go wrong with the canon 50mm f1.8 stm

ok sounds great. I see everywhere the fixed lenses 50mm is a must have. In this scenario, is it worth it for the money left on my budget? f/1.8, f/1.4?
If I want to invest in a nice lens for landscape (wide lense), what would you recommend ?

Unless you need 2/3 stop more exposure, the f1.8 would be the way to go. Slower lenses are easier to design, require less correction and generally have fewer elements. That means they probably perform better than fast lenses in the corners of the frame and deliver more contrast. This assumes similar quality in both lenses. And they cost less. Amateurs can generally compensate by adding 2/3 stop higher ISO.

Nice wideangle- tokina 11-16 f2.8

Most reactions

Back