Camera for specific needs/problems

Grandad99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife recently replaced her old Sony DCS P200 with a DSC WX350. She has failing eyesight and the main attraction was the bigger, sharper screen. Unfortunately she also has quite severe arthritis in her hands. This makes using the small control buttons difficult, so overall it's not suitable.

Ideally she would like one with a large screen, large control buttons and a long zoom. Not being very mobile most photos are now of family and birds in the garden so size is not an issue - in fact a bigger one will be easier to handle.

Price range up to about £200. Is there anything suitable on the market?

Getting a DSLR with a 'long' zoom for 200 quid would be tough though.

Would a DSLR with a proper, optical viewfinder and dioptric correction work?

This might be a good place to start, either an older used DSLR or if that seems like too much maybe a "bridge" or "superzoom" camera of some sort. The bridge would be a bit smaller than the DSLR but it would be bigger than what she has now.

Question is of course, would it be big enough for her to work with, maybe a trip to a local retailer is in order to give her some hands on time and see what she likes best.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

tirediron, can you please fill in the xxx's -I don't know enough to recognise the models and it has stumped Google!

Thanks

There's a D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D3400 models
The d3000 being the oldest and less techie, and the D3400 being the newest with the most features. All are considered the entry level consumer camera of their time.

The newest D3400 can be purchased new, whereas the 1 age older d3300 can probably be found new, refurbished or used as they have been out of production. D3200/3100 and 3000's can be found probably only used.

d3x00; the "x" for either 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 for the specific models above wh.

Thanks but these don't have particularly long zooms.

I've found a Sony DSC-H400 bridge camera with a 63x zoom and would appreciate opinions of it.

Most reactions

Back