Camera Gurus

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so we all know there are waaaay too many cameras out there in the world for all of us to know everything about them. :-( sad.. yes I know. :-(

And people come here looking for advice on which cameras to buy.
So, do you reckon as an Idea, we could have some sort of list in the beginners forum or in the review part of Users and what cameras they have?

That way, if someone posts an obscure question about a camera we've go no idea about, we can see from that list who has one or a similar one and direct the question at them.

Just a thought, because there are a lot more questions about P&S cameras than I remember there being - and it's so hard for us who are trying to help, and those requesting help coz there are so many cameras!

Anyway, we had a similar thing to this at the radio station for software. We called them Software Gurus. hehe. So there was this list emailed around with all the types of software used in the building and peoples names that could offer help on that software to anyone in the station. It was very helpful, because there was some really obscure and difficult software.

Any ideas?

sounds like a good idea

Personally, I think it's best to try to educate people about how a (any) camera works...rather than about any one specific camera. Personally, I have very little first hand knowledge of the thousands of different point-n-shoot digi-cams...but I could probably help most people out with their questions, just with a little common sense.

That being said, there may be little idiosyncrasies with each camera and it would be nice to have someone to ask about them.

I understand where Meysha is coming from.

There is a large percentage of newbies that either have a small ($500 or less budget) and do not understand what that will buy them.

Many do not understand the basic differences in a P&S versus a DSLR.

I've just gotten tired out from making the same basic explanations to vague questions from people who are sincere, but totally clueless as to what to ask.

As a long time Canon user, my comments are by necessity, based on my experience with this gear. We (Canon folk) are in a rather small minority. I've read more than a few well meaning but inaccurate statements regarding Canon gear.

I believe the forum could be helped and improved by some redefining of the sections.

I believe the forum could be helped and improved by some redefining of the sections.
Believe me, it is a struggle to figure out the best way to organize the forum. We have tried different configurations and are always open to suggestions, so if you have any ideas, here is the place to put them.

Also, as much as I don't like to send people away from the forum. There are great resources avaliable. I often use www.dpreview.com to check or compare stats on digital cameras when I don't know about them. There is a great side-by-side feature for comparing cameras.

Mike....as you may remember, I come from POTN (photos On The Net) after a couple years and a few thousand posts.

The one thing that seemed to help were a solid selection of 'stickys' in each section. Newbies were referred to them first so they could get some of the basics in their heads before going out to the forum sections.

The problem is that each and every noobie thinks they are unique and want a personalized response. They do not care if the same question has gone on dozens of times previously.

Also they broke it down into 'compact' cameras and DSLRS. Brand specific helps also.

There seems to be only 2 or 3 models of 'entry' DSLRs for each major brand. The P&S area is a real quagmire of options, prices and such.

Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

I like POTN and do post there, from time to time. I think this forum is different from that one in that they are more of a gear based forum (Canon gear, to be specific). That works for them and that's great.

This forum is less focused on specific gear, in fact, we prefer it if people don't post their gear in their signatures (I do, at least). The idea being that 'It's not the gear, it's the photographer'. Also, we like that we have users of all sorts of gear and it gets tiresome trying to keep the brand wars from flaming up.

Of course, in this digital age of photography, the gear we use is more and more important...or maybe because of the internet...it's just more discussed than ever before. We do have an 'equipment' section and many of our newbie questions are about gear.

I believe we have talked about trying to put together a set of reviews or basic equipment explanations...or something that we can use to refer the repeated questions too. I think it's a good idea, but if it were to be done, it would have to be done well...and that would take a big commitment of time and effort from someone.

Mike, Jon, Thanks for the discussion and ideas. :mrgreen:

But I wasn't particularly meaning a new forum for gear specific discussions. I simply had an idea of a list of all the different types of gear and then next to that each person's name who wants it there.

ie:

Canon 350D: Meysha.

Canon 30D: Jon, The Elder.

Superman Shirts: Big Mike.

hehehe... sorry but that's all i could see you use. And of course there would be a lot more names than just one after each category.

That way, if a newbie comes into the forum and asks if they should buy a russian Smena or $50, we can see that no one actually owns one of them (or admits to it hehehehe), or has used one. Then we can go searching on google for some info.

It can sort of define where our gear knowledge base is, in a way.

Then as more people join the list and knowledge grows. Although - I think we've got plenty of knowledgeable people here - but I don't know what in! :-( And that frustrates me, because I love to hear random bits about obscure cameras.

For example if it wasn't for someone's avatar (hmmm I don't think it was Terri's but it was someone elses in alternative), I never would have discovered the Polaroid Sx-70. But I saw the little image and went and looked it up... and the rest is history. :mrgreen:

MEYSHA........I understand and see the value there.

I put my basic cameras in my sig. for the express purpose of letting people know that when I answer a "Canon specific" thread, that I have first hand experience with that brand. It is not an ego thing, it just saves time.

I owned the Polaroid SX-70 back in the early 1970's. I bought the 'professional' model that had a 'lifetime' warranty. Last year I found it in the back of a closet, but the chemicals had leaked out of the film pack and destroyed the insides. In it's time it was a real nice unit for using it as a 'test shot' camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back