Camera setting/lighting help - canon 40d

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bridget7777, Dec 19, 2008.

1. bridget7777

bridget7777 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Canon 40d and am struggling with trying to get my studio lighting right. I took this shot with the camera on manual mode, 7.1 aperature, 200 ISO, 1/20 shutter speed, custom white balance. I'm using a single 500 watt softbox and have two 250 watt tungsten spot lights on the background. How can I compensate and lighten the background up? I don't like how dark and contrasty it's looking. With my older camera - Fuji S9100 - the background always came out much lighter with the same exact lighting setup. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Flashes from the same distance as before? Same zoom setting? Same power setting?

3. bridget7777

bridget7777 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Well what I should say is the Fuji camera was all very automatic and there wasn't nearly as much settings to change as on my new Canon. I have a continuous light source and it was the same distance, not sure if the same zoom setting. I have very limited knowledge with photography, much I have figured out with trial and error. :)

4. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I actually like the gradation on the background, gives it definition, just what is up with her right arm? She looks like an amputee.

However, to answer your question, use another with a softbox, aimed at background, for background light.

5. bridget7777

bridget7777 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, I've not noticed the arm until now! Ahh, okay, never thought of another softbox. Great, thanks!!