Camera suggestions

[email protected]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need camera & lens suggestions. I'm not too camera savvy but learn quick. I need a camera to take pictures outdoors from a distance of about 50-60 yards. Some will be still images but mostly moving objects ( Field trial dogs ) I have a budget of $1000-1300.00. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug

First... realize that sports photography (fast far away objects in challenging light) is difficult and equipment to support it can be extremely expensive. This is why professional sports photographers are well paid. WIth that said, it is very possible to obtain good results with in a budget... You just have to realize and set expectations. If your typical outdoor lighting is good (bright), then your options are wider.

You will most likely need to use a monopod (or tripod) to help steady yourself. You should work that into your budget as well.

In that budget, I'd first start looking at third party lenses and decide on the camera afterwards. For example.... Check out either... (I'm sure others here can suggest others)

1) Sigma 170-500mm 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG about $770 USD
2) Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO DG $590 USD
3) Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD IF about $900 USD
4) Tokina Telephoto AF-D 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ATX 840 $650 USD

do your research .. ask around here. Once you have made your choice, then go to a camera shop and hold camera bodies for which the lens manufacturer can accomodate. Your choice of body should be based on what is left in your budget as well as what feels comfortable... Then order the lens that fits that camera and the camera itself.

Don't forget memory cards too.

Last but not least... try to squeeze in a wide to medium zoom for other shots. Don't forget to investigate used to squeeze more out of your budget.

Btw.. you never said if you were interested in digital or film.. I'm assuming digital.

Need camera & lens suggestions. I'm not too camera savvy but learn quick. I need a camera to take pictures outdoors from a distance of about 50-60 yards. Some will be still images but mostly moving objects ( Field trial dogs ) I have a budget of $1000-1300.00. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug

Start with a more reasonable budget. Plan of $1300 for the camera just by itself w/o a lens.

Next, like the posting above ... plan for roughly $400 - $800 per lens, to have adequate range for your "field shots."

My personal recommendations would be the:
  • Tokina AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AT-X 840 for the cheaper side ...

and for a more professional aspect to your shot,
  • TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD
taking closer shots ... of your favorite pooch ... my I suggest
  • TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Optimally, having both these long lenses in the field would be preferred, but the 80-400mm should be a reasonable, lower-cost start. Having all of them mounted on the new SONY A700 would provide a much desired "anti-shake" while being handheld.

Anyway ... get your hands on either one and try them out. You will rapidly see for yourself ... what a "field lens" can be.

Start with a more reasonable budget. Plan of $1300 for the camera just by itself w/o a lens.

Uhm, you don't know what these shots are needed for. The OP may do fine with a $900 D80.

To the OP:
What are these images going to be needed for?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back