Camera That Does Not Front Focus

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it possible to buy a camera that will not need micro adjustment? Until this weekend, I had not heard of front focus, or AF micro adjustment. My pictures always seem a bit soft focused - not terribly bad, but always a bit soft. I always thought it was my technique, not the camera--both, maybe. Finally (after years), I discovered that this is a known issue with my camera and tried several tests. For example, focusing on a number on a ruler, I found that my Canon 7D, using Canon 24-105 is definitely front focusing, as whatever number I focused on, the number two inches closer to the lens was in sharper focus. I have tried the AF micro adjustment, which works, but is tedious, because it is needed with a wide aperture and close-up, but telephoto seems fine, which will mean constant turning on and off the micro adjustment. Is there a camera that is always tack sharp, as long a the photographer is using it correctly?

I think you're searching for a unicorn. Focus issues are a result of manufacturing tolerances. To make every lens and every camera perfect would be prohibitively expensive.

Is it possible to buy a camera that will not need micro adjustment? Until this weekend, I had not heard of front focus, or AF micro adjustment. My pictures always seem a bit soft focused - not terribly bad, but always a bit soft. I always thought it was my technique, not the camera--both, maybe. Finally (after years), I discovered that this is a known issue with my camera and tried several tests. For example, focusing on a number on a ruler, I found that my Canon 7D, using Canon 24-105 is definitely front focusing, as whatever number I focused on, the number two inches closer to the lens was in sharper focus. I have tried the AF micro adjustment, which works, but is tedious, because it is needed with a wide aperture and close-up, but telephoto seems fine, which will mean constant turning on and off the micro adjustment. Is there a camera that is always tack sharp, as long a the photographer is using it correctly?

If making changes in camera seems to be too tedious. Maybe split the difference between wide and telephoto in the adjustment and leave it on. And use an extra 1/2, 2/3 or full stop of aperture to make up for the location of sharp focus. If you tried 50 of the same lenses you may or may not find a better one. People have checked their lenses and had to go full scale on adjustments. Now those are bad lenses!

I will try the split difference, because my camera store does not sell unicorns. Thank you all.

Is this a 7Dmii?

Is it possible to buy a camera that will not need micro adjustment?

Yes. But there is no panacea. You could switch to a mirrorless camera. The problem you're encountering now that requires fine-tuning exists because the PDA focus sensors in your camera are not physically located on the recording sensor. When you focus your camera the mirror is down so that you can see through the OVF. Mirror alignment and the position of the PDA sensors in the bottom or top of the camera mirror cage creates your fine-tune requirement.

Mirrorless cameras place the PDA sensors on the recording sensor ensuring focus accuracy with no need for fine-tuning. My comment about no panacea is that although mirrorless cameras may be better in this case they may be worse in some other case.

Joe

>When you focus your camera the mirror is down so that you can see through the OVF.

So what I understand is that using mirror lock-up with the OVF would be no better (apart from reducing shake) because the lens has already focused, before the mirror lifts and I would still have to use micro adjust.
Does the lens focus the same way in Live View?

>Is this a 7Dmii?
Just 7D.

>When you focus your camera the mirror is down so that you can see through the OVF.

So what I understand is that using mirror lock-up with the OVF would be no better (apart from reducing shake) because the lens has already focused, before the mirror lifts and I would still have to use micro adjust.
Does the lens focus the same way in Live View?

>Is this a 7Dmii?
Just 7D.

In live view the camera will focus using CDA sensors on the recording sensor. This is very accurate & will solve the fine-tune issue of PDA sensors but live view on a DSLR using the LCD is hardly a solution. You need to do the fine-tuning for your lenses. If you want to avoid that then it's switch camera types.

Joe

P.S. I made the switch a couple years ago from Canon DSLR to Fuji mirrorless. I'm overall happy and the improved focus accuracy of the Fuji is one of the positive benefits that I enjoy, but I do sometimes miss having an OVF.

Most reactions

Back